Aggressive German blue rams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive German blue rams

I have 2 German blue rams that are pretty new...they made their way into my community tank 2 weeks ago, and they started being extremely aggressive. They're picking on my albino BN pleco non stop, nipping at his tail and making him go crazy. They also chase my cardinal tetras around and occasionally try to pick a fight with my discus that are way larger. Is this common? I thought this was a peaceful fish. Do I need to get rid of them?

Maybe they are a pair. What you are describing sounds as thou you have a breeding pair. Have looked carefully around the area they are defending for eggs or wigglers?

Comment

I checked and no eggs... I'm 90% sure they are both females

Comment

Female squabbles

Do you have photos of the fish?
        Mike[

QUOTE=bamzam;764949]I checked and no eggs... I'm 90% sure they are both females[/QUOTE]

Comment

German blue ram is fairly peaceful fish. What is your tank size? Maybe not enough room?
          010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I will try to get a good pic of the rams tonight. But they have black on the dorsal fins, the blue shimmers through their black spot, and I think their bellies have a pink tint. My tank is a 75 gallon with 5 discus, 2 angels, a school of cardinals, a BN pleco and the 2 rams. I put a pic below because I believe they have plenty of space and places to hide. I read some horror stories online where they've killed other people's fish or picked their eyes out...hope my fish are alive when I get home.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like mmarasigan3.

Comment

I believe you have more than enough room with 75 gallon tank. Your Discus and Angel are looking sharp bro!

I would keep an eye on those Ram and remove them at first sight they attack those Discus.
              010G Long fin BN grow-out
              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community
              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Sexing blue rams

From your description, I concur they are likely females.

Mike

Originally posted by bamzam View Post
                I will try to get a good pic of the rams tonight. But they have black on the dorsal fins, the blue shimmers through their black spot, and I think their bellies have a pink tint. My tank is a 75 gallon with 5 discus, 2 angels, a school of cardinals, a BN pleco and the 2 rams. I put a pic below because I believe they have plenty of space and places to hide. I read some horror stories online where they've killed other people's fish or picked their eyes out...hope my fish are alive when I get home.

http://imgur.com/kyYWtTh

Comment

Thanks guys. I owe this forum a lot of credit since everytime I run into any issues I post about it in here lol.

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like mmarasigan3.

Pics of the mean girls...I think. Dunno what their beef is with the pleco but they love to seek him out and mess with him

Comment

Studying your second picture. Your bottom fish on left looks like her tube is down. They both look to be females.

Comment

Here are a few more pics...are they both female? I noticed one of the rams wouldn't leave this corner...went to look at it and saw a ton of eggs. What do I do? lol

Comment

First off you don't need a male for a spawn to happen. Your will not be fertile. Since you posted yesterday. What color are the eggs today? If they are the same color as yesterday. You have a pair.

Comment

Watch those discus. They will barge in and consume eggs from aggressive angelfish parents. Mike

Comment

The color is the same, they're still white. That means they're not fertilized right? Googled it and it said fertile eggs turn orange? The fish wasn't done when I took the pic, she laid a ton more. The entire leaf was covered lol

Comment

Working...
                              X