Good tank mates for German Blue Rams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tank mates for German Blue Rams

Hey guys, I have a 55 gallon tank set-up with a Eheim 2217 canister filter. I've been thinking about what fish I want to put in the tank and settled on 2 breeding pairs of German Blue Rams as the main fish and 6-8 Neon Tetra's. What other fish would be good for the Rams? Also the tank is new, but the canister filter was bought from another forum member witch was used on his tank. How long should I wait before getting the Rams?

If the filter was off a running tank and it was put on your tank with out drying out or replacing the media. You should be good to go.

Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi is a great choice. They are an earth eater. So they like sand. The Neon Tetra's. I would go with Cardinal Tetra's. Neon's don't do well here. Cardinal's do much better and look every much like the neon's. Just the red lines are long on their body's. The group should be about 20 to 30. In a large group you really see how they school.

As for other fish maybe a small pleco like a bristle nose or something fancier like L46 or L201.

If you want your Ramirezi to breed I wouldn't put any other fish. Eggs will be eaten.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Thanks Troy, would 20-30 tetra's be too much for a 55 gallon with the 4 rams?

Comment

Not at all They are all small fish.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I have 35 cardinals in a 60 gallon cube with 3 male blue Rams I really like the balance

Comment

Corydoras cats, harlequin rasboras, bristlenose plecos

Mike

Comment

I would make sure the filter didn't come from a "dead" tank. That would be a problem. I would run it for a week and do water test before adding new fish. For 55G, 20-30 cardinal tetra would be alright.
              010G Long fin BN grow-out
              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community
              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...