Corydoras Habrosus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corydoras Habrosus

Hi, I'm currently setting up a 10 gallon planted tank that will house 1 female betta and 10 Habrosus corys (this is my first time having corys) with Black Diamond blasting sand as a substrate. I was just wondering if water hardness with this species will be an issue? Our water is very hard and I can't seem to get a straight answer on if the corys will be alright if acclimated correctly or if they'll do poorly. Also, if you've had experience with these corys, any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most corydoras species are native to neutral to acid, soft water. However, captive bred fish have been acclimated to harder water. If your intent is to breed this fish, I would combine RO water with tap water and keep the temperature between 72 and 79 F. One of the tricks to breed corydoras is a simulated rainy season with colder water (within the range). Double Dutch is our Cory expert on this site and can probably give you additional guidance.

Mike

Comment

Most plants also prefer softer water.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mredman View Post
        Most corydoras species are native to neutral to acid, soft water. However, captive bred fish have been acclimated to harder water. If your intent is to breed this fish, I would combine RO water with tap water and keep the temperature between 72 and 79 F. One of the tricks to breed corydoras is a simulated rainy season with colder water (within the range). Double Dutch is our Cory expert on this site and can probably give you additional guidance.

Mike
        Thank you for the breeding tips! I don't plan on breeding the corydoras. I just want to keep them nice and happy. Even if I don't intend to breed them, RO + Tap water might be a quick fix?

Comment

In fact I have never been lucky keeping Habrosus.
          Lost two shoals of these great fish (one wild caught and the other ones bred). Strange thing is that I got the latter one from a breeder in the same area (same water).
          She hadn't any issues ????
          They need cooler better oxiginated water than a Betta, but hey give it a try.
          These probably are wild caught ones btw !
          Succes !

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDutch View Post
            In fact I have never been lucky keeping Habrosus.
            Lost two shoals of these great fish (one wild caught and the other ones bred). Strange thing is that I got the latter one from a breeder in the same area (same water).
            She hadn't any issues ????
            They need cooler better oxiginated water than a Betta, but hey give it a try.
            These probably are wild caught ones btw !
            Succes !
            So would you recommend using a blend of RO water and tap to even out the water hardness or just make sure the corys are well acclimated? I've heard that it's better to not change your parameters and acclimate well but I wanted your opinion on it.

Comment

Sorry I can't tell. No experience with RO.

Comment

Okay, thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                X