Where to buy CO2 in the Houston area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy CO2 in the Houston area

I tried to find a source of CO2 within a reasonable distance of my home and it was a major effort (more than 10 calls and numerous web sites). My search included gas supply companies, food & beverage companies, fire extinguisher companies, welding shops and paintball suppliers.

The gas supply companies are not in my area so they were quickly eliminated. There are some food & beverage companies that supply CO2 but the ones I called only deliver.

Most welding companies were not very interested (some have a 50-pound minimum) but the one that was willing to sell cost $25 for a five-pound bottle and you have to leave your bottle overnight with them....in other words, two trips. They also do not guarantee you will get the same bottle back.....so my shiny new aluminum bottle could end up in someone else's hands - NO WAY.

I gave up quickly on fire extinguisher companies when the first company I called had an operator ask me if I wanted carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide....YIKES!

I called Command Post, which has four or five Houston locations. They wanted $15 for a refill. I went to the location on the feeder road of Highway 45 near Airtex (east side of road).

When you take your bottle in for a refill, it is important that the bottle is cold. They told me customers normally put their tank on ice during the drive to their refill center. You will get more product for the same price when the bottle is cold. They will not fill bottles brought in at ambient temperature. They do have a small freezer that would work for 5-pound bottles if they have room (it is another 15-minute wait).

The Command Post people service paintball guns and aquarists. My tank was filled and I was out of their store in 10 minutes.

While I have seen some posts on various sites that you can find suppliers for less than $10, it was not the case with me.

I will get some additional economy with my pH controller. It should be much more energy efficient compared to using a timer. Furthermore, I am injecting CO2 inline, which also should have some additional efficiency. Inserted on the intake tube of a canister filter, the gas bubbles will be solubilized into the water rather than a system that produces bubbles that escape to the surface of the water, which results in significant CO2 loss.

I hope this information helps.

Mike

Good to know

Comment

I recommend homebrew shops. They sell smaller CO2 tanks and do refill for kegging systems. Also since it is a product for human consumption, you know the CO2 quality is high.

I am a homebrewer and go to Texas Hombrewers in Katy (Fry and Morton is the cross street). I know thats a hike from Spring area, but there may be other stores closer

19909 Morton Rd STE 100
      Katy, TX 77449
      855-744-2739

Comment

I used to go to AirGas on 249 and Beltway 8 ( a little south of SW corner of that intersection). They refilled 10 lbs bottle for $9. I dont know how much they are charging now, but you can call to check.281-893-9353

Comment

I go to Grapes and Grains on the Spring/Tomball border on HWY 249. They will cool your tank down for you if you don't bring it in cold. Very friendly and quick refills. I bought an extra 5# tanks there as well for 80 bucks with a free fill. Refills are 15 bucks for a 5#. They can service up to 10# bottles.

Comment

U can find CO2 refill at Fish Gallery ...i refill my tank from there

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Comment

How much does Fish Gallery charge?

Mike[

QUOTE=pinaki_pal;763466]U can find CO2 refill at Fish Gallery ...i refill my tank from there

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

They charge $22 for my cylinder. ...

Comment

I sent my son to fill my 20 gal tank with 20$ in Texas city. I got no change back so I know it was not more then that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Small size cylinder may chatge less...not sure though ....

Comment

It may matter if it's a aquarium store verses a welding shop, but I'm not sure. Mine was filled at a welding shop.

Comment

It was called calico welding and they also fill for balloons and brewing as well. In Texas city. So it may depend how far you live. I'm close by and my house is 68 degrees so the tank is cold already.

Comment

Working...
                        X