Acclimating new fish for salinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acclimating new fish for salinity

Pretty much without exception the brackish fish species sold in LFS's are sold in pure fresh water. My aquarium is currently at 1.014. I don't have space for a cycled quarantine tank. What's the best way to acclimate new fish to my salinity.

Same way the lfs do. But just because a fish is brackish doesn't mean it was in brackish before the lfs acquired it. I would honestly do very slow acclimation (2-3 hours or even more). Dump fish in a bucket and add a half cup guve or take every ten min of your brackish water. Do it until you've dumped the water mostly out and your tank water is over 90% of the water in the bucket.
    210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
    125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

You are correct that the LFS generally does not have brackish water tanks but indeed have brackish fish. Some fish, such as mollies, can be acclimated over a course of two hours. They will thrive in the new environment. However, fish that are susceptible to ich may require a longer acclimation (e.g. scats). Many of the snail species will be very grateful for your efforts. You may have an ideal nerite spawning habitat.

While I miss out on some good deals, I like to buy fish that have already been acclimated to the LFS for several days. If I see no evidence of disease, it is time to buy.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X