No announcement yet.

Total Dissolved Solids - Where are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Dissolved Solids - Where are you?

I used Eco-Complete substrate, which comes with its own water supply in the bag. I did not rinse the gravel. In the last week, I finally sourced my RO water from That Aquarium Place. Using my meter, their RO water measured 6 ppm total dissolved solids (TDS). After adding a significant amount of driftwood and some rocks, the TDS in the aquarium measured about 50 ppm. A week later (this past Saturday), I added three albino corydoras aeneus and two pearl gouramis. Before adding the fish, the TDS was 80 ppm and three days after adding the fish it is now 98 ppm. My first water change will be this weekend. Ammonia and nitrate levels are at 0. I clean up the leftover food after 45 minutes.

Do you measure TDS and what is your typical reading of an established tank?

Mike

I would like to know what TDS is(total dissolved solids) because I want to use Eco-complete substrate as well with my new 20 gallon because my old 20 gallon is leaking. Can someone please explain this or tell me where to go and read up on this? Thank you

~ I love my fish

Comment

Any time you add a gravel substrate there will be small particles. The bioload from the fish and decaying plants also play a role. The biggest factor is the water you use. The key is your water source and timely water changes. My goal is to never let the TDS exceed 150 ppm but I would prefer to keep it below 80 ppm.

Eco-Complete appears to be an ideal substrate.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X