No announcement yet.

Who breeds angels and discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome discus! I keep my tank at 81F and have 12 angelfish. Most people warn me not to mix angels and discus. What is your experience?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mredman View Post
      Awesome discus! I keep my tank at 81F and have 12 angelfish. Most people warn me not to mix angels and discus. What is your experience?

Mike
      There is no problem with mixing them. My temperature is a bit higher at 84.
      True is that angels have more bacteria but they all do. That's why people say don't mix them.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
      Fish, shimp, shrimp, fish...all are just as wonderful!

Comment

The reason people say not to mix them is because Angels are much more aggressive eaters and the Discus will not get enough to eat. But that is not always true. I have a blue that thinks he is an Altum. Now that they have been sold. he still thinks more like them.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
          The reason people say not to mix them is because Angels are much more aggressive eaters and the Discus will not get enough to eat. But that is not always true. I have a blue that thinks he is an Altum. Now that they have been sold. he still thinks more like them.
          Troy, your point is also valid. Very true.

Comment

Originally posted by EpikMuffin View Post
            I vote for discus as well. I only keep discus and shrimps now.
            If you ever need high grade discus, I have them. I import high quality discus with only popular breeders. Get with me when you like to see them.

Comment

Having collected both discus and angels in the Amazon rain forest. I have yet to ever collect in 80 degree water or warmer. The water has always been chilly to collect in. Meaning less than 80 degrees. Way to chilly to swim in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Who View Post
                Having collected both discus and angels in the Amazon rain forest. I have yet to ever collect in 80 degree water or warmer. The water has always been chilly to collect in. Meaning less than 80 degrees. Way to chilly to swim in.
                My Discus didn't come from the Amazon. They came from a breeder here in the US. They keep their water 80+ degrees. That's why I keep my water at a higher temp.

Comment

Troy I understand what your saying. My question is when and why are they keep at this temp. when in the wild its much lower. The water is so soft and such a low ph. your test kit can't read it.

Comment

I keep my discus at around 85F also, but am not a pro or anything. I saw breeders in asia keep discus at 85+. A lot of my fishes came from asia, so I just try to keep them at the same condition. My friends over in asia told me that they keep baby discus at high temp so they eat more and grow faster. The adults can be kept at lower temp. Also, it's hot over there (over 90F) and no AC..., so fishes used to with that ... Keeping domestic discus at high temp, high ph is still a lot easier than low ph and lower temp. I'm ok with the trade off.

Comment

That is close to the way it was explained to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X