Diseased fish now dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diseased fish now dead

So here is the skinny on what's going on: wife and I have a 40 gallon breeder, planted, and have added minnows, guppies, platties, a gourami, and a few others. We recently bought 4 fancy guppies from Aquarium world and 3 of them are now dead (ich), in addition to 2 of our rose barbs that we also bought there. I am unsure if anyone has experienced something like this previously, but I thought I would share. We take daily water measurements and all parameters are being met; we are treating for ich and of course have removed carbon filter and turned up temps. Salt has not been added and is unlikely to be added. We also perform weekly water changes of RO water, 50%.

I think we will avoid buying fish from there again. I do not want to slander Aquarium World in any way, but do want people to be wary of what they buy.

I would also like to clarify that there were no previously diseased fish in the aquarium until we got guppies and additional platties. Use your quarantine tank, folks.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry for your loss.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Sorry to here that Dan.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Guppies are certainly a tricky fish lately and many do poorly. Houston Aquatics breed theirs in house and might be a better choice for getting healthy stock.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Dan, It appears you took almost every precaution when you bought the fish. Regardless, a fish goes through enormous stress when caught, transported and put into a foreign tank with new community members. As a result, fish often contract diseases although the disease was present but latent in the stressed fish. In a past life, I sold fish to pet shops. We had situations where our fish were in perfect health and suffered no losses yet occasionally a pet shop would tell us we sold them sick fish while all the others reported very healthy livestock. The problem is worsened when the newcomers pass on disease to the other healthy occupants of the tank.

I visited Aquarium World this week and saw very healthy fish overall, albeit I did suffer some minor sticker shock on some items.

Mike

Comment

I've been having horrible luck with guppies. My guppy saga has been going on for what seems to be 2-3mths. No matter where I buy them from, they just don't last. I've had ich, tail rot, and just falling over dead. Had some females that were doing great. Yesterday they were swimming happily and eating like pigs. Got up today to find one laying on the bottom. She went into a corner and laid down and died. They show no symptoms of any thing. It's VERY frustrating. They're beautiful fish. I don't know when I'm going to get it and just totally give up on this species.

Comment

Don't give up just yet. I can hook you up with some of my guppies. PM me! Maybe you'll have better luck with them.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community

Comment

I don't know any thing about aquarium world, but I bet it was the guppies. They really do look fine in the store and you bring'em home and put'em in your tank and all heck of diseases break lose. I lost a sweet betta girl fairly recent because of bringing home what was gorgeous guppies that looked fine.

Originally posted by mredman View Post
                Dan, It appears you took almost every precaution when you bought the fish. Regardless, a fish goes through enormous stress when caught, transported and put into a foreign tank with new community members. As a result, fish often contract diseases although the disease was present but latent in the stressed fish. In a past life, I sold fish to pet shops. We had situations where our fish were in perfect health and suffered no losses yet occasionally a pet shop would tell us we sold them sick fish while all the others reported very healthy livestock. The problem is worsened when the newcomers pass on disease to the other healthy occupants of the tank.

I visited Aquarium World this week and saw very healthy fish overall, albeit I did suffer some minor sticker shock on some items.

Mike

Comment

sorry to hear about the troubles. we all have gone through it before at one point or another. ich can manifest quickly if the fish is carrying it and show no signs in the store. i stopped buying from one local petsmart a long time ago because the fish just never seem to make it 2 weeks. params were great, they jsut always died. one time it wiped out my tank and that was last purchase. fish looked ok in the store.

i buy from shops people recommend on here now. trade with people on here as well at times. not to say anything is wrong with the big name stores, i just find the stock to be better elsewhere.

i do agree that aquarium world is rather expensive. i havent been in there in a few years, and never bought anything from them, but last time i was i thought the same thing. looked like healthy stock, but i can get them better priced other places.

Comment

Like Dan said, if you buy fish from store, it's best to quarantine them before put them in the tank. Haven't bought fish from store for a while now. I got fish from people on here for better deal and healthy fish.
                    020G Leulepi grow-out
                    030G Leulepi breeder
                    030G SRD FlowerHorn
                    090G Tangs community
                    100G Tangs community

Comment

My wife and I really want to move to Maine before December, so we may not be buying anymore fish. In fact, we may be giving some away, such as platties, white cloud mountain minnows, long fin danios, and a dwarf gourami (female). We hope we can keep our plants alive during the drive, but who knows.

Regarding fish and ich: API Super Ich Cure works AWESOME! I had two platties that were in bad shape and two days after using API, all ich was gone from all fish. I certainly recommend the product for getting rid of ich fast. It does say that it may stain the glass, but only time will tell. We ended up losing all 4 guppies, two platties, and three rose barbs.

Comment

Since the guppies are such a mess I use their tank as a qt non stop. I just really think they're weak from bad breeding. I've lost some of Crizz'z guppies, but I loose them slower, and right now I've got one that so far is strong and happy. When I get more from him this wekeend I have hope that little by little things are going to tirn around since his came from a breeder..

Comment

According to a source, female guppy last about 2 years while male only last about 3-4 months. Is that correct?
                          Maybe the guppies you got just die of old age?
                          020G Leulepi grow-out
                          030G Leulepi breeder
                          030G SRD FlowerHorn
                          090G Tangs community
                          100G Tangs community

Comment

hard to tell. way back in the day i had guppies live pretty long lives, male and female. there is no telling in store how old they are but its possible

Comment

Maybe it's best to buy baby guppies and grow them out.
                              020G Leulepi grow-out
                              030G Leulepi breeder
                              030G SRD FlowerHorn
                              090G Tangs community
                              100G Tangs community

Comment

Working...
                              X