Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Filter/Seeking DIY help in meantime

Wow, it feels as if I've posted more today than I intended to

So the filter on one of my tanks is out, and I plan to go replace it first thing tomorrow.
    But in the meantime, I would very much appreciate some advice on how to handle the matter until then.
    I've read that having an air stone can help in this scenario, but I don't have one- nor do I have any tubing with me to make a DIY one
    I'm not very mechanically inclined, so please forgive this if you can- but is there another way I could make my own air stone or some sort of contraption that could help right now? My resources are a bit limited- household objects, I don't have anything on me here that's necessarily made for aquariums besides some filter media, a plastic 'fishbowl' that I use as a bucket, food, and water conditioner. Extremely basic :(

I DO have a 2.5 gallon tank that I've kept around for emergencies- particularly ones like this- but these are goldfish and I would really like to keep that tank and it's weak filter as a last resort. These fish are way too big for that tank, and if there's a more reasonable way to handle this until tomorrow morning, I'd rather do that.
    Unless in ya'lls opinion the 2.5 IS the more reasonable approach. I'm just unsure.

I've considered also switching my black skirt tetras into the 2.5 temporarily, and giving my goldfish their tank since it's definitely more space to work with than 2.5 gal. But it seems like a lot of drama to that just until tomorrow morning.

These goldfish are my pride and joys though, so if it's going to be hard work then so be it I suppose.

I wouldn't switch the fish unless the 2.5 is up and running. As far as air, do you have a powerhead/wave maker. If so you could point it at an angle towards the top of the water. You just need surface agitation until tomorrow. Then get your filter fixed
    30G fowlr
    55G planted community
    30G corner Glo tank

Comment

I have a fan that perhaps I could balance to hit the surface of the water? Would that work well enough? Or would it make it too cold? I mean, it's summer in Houston so maybe that won't be a problem though

Comment

And the 2.5 hasn't been running in a very long time. There's a 1.5 that I was using until a few months ago, but I definitely don't think these fellas would fit so I don't consider it much of an option

Comment

Gold fish are cold water fish. They also gulp air from the top. So they will be fine.
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Yes that's what I was thinking...a lot of people keep them in bowls with no air stone or filter, so being without a filter for awhile will be fine
            30G fowlr
            55G planted community
            30G corner Glo tank

Comment

Saw your post just now. How are the fish?
              010G Long fin BN grow-out
              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community
              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...