canister filter reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crush View Post
    I'm currently using a marineland penguin 350 (350gph) hob and an aqua-tech (marineland) 20-40 hob togather in my 60g. They are keeping things fairly clean but filter cartridges get expensive. I found the Aqua-tech carts at Walmart for roughly $7-$8 for a box. They fit both my hobs. It's cheaper than getting a box of marinland carts at petsmart.
    thats what was getting to me running so many HOBs currently....i was getting economy packs of filter cartridges. i shifted over to using purigen in my HOBs, and am now carbon free. it works better in a canister but oh well. no complaints here. i keep some fresh purigen ready to rotate in as i recharge others. it is more cost up front.

you can get 3 packs of 300 micron bags on amazon for less than $15, instead of like $9 for one seachem bag. they are washable in the sink (http://www.amazon.com/Pura-Magnavore...+bags+aquarium)

Comment

Eheim classic and fluval...love em both
      30G fowlr
      55G planted community
      30G corner Glo tank

Comment

I thought for the most part people don't use carbon any more. I can't even remember the last time I bought it. My filters are full of pot scrubbers, rocks and such.

This weekend I lost the stupid rubber tip that goes to the impeller of the biowheel that's on the 75gal. I finally said to heck with it and hooked up a 2213 eheim that was given to me years ago. The room is so quiet that I keep thinking something is wrong.

Comment

That is the beauty of canister. Love its quietness.
          010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
            I thought for the most part people don't use carbon any more. I can't even remember the last time I bought it. My filters are full of pot scrubbers, rocks and such.
            I'm phasing out on the carbon in my filtration. I'm transitioning to purigen. Same price as carbon but it champions on the clarity of water. It can also be re-generated and re-used. Can't do that with carbon.
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community

Comment

I'm a cascade guy love them but Eheims are good too nothing like the quick priming of the cascades a couple of pumps and it's good to go
              125g: Empty For Now
              90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
              Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Yeah, one of these days I'm going to get some purigen, especially now that I've got the eheim going on the 75. I just came in and the quiet in this room is shocking. The only filter I hear now is the biowheel on the brichardi tank, which is not as loud as the one I just took off the 75.

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                I'm phasing out on the carbon in my filtration. I'm transitioning to purigen. Same price as carbon but it champions on the clarity of water. It can also be re-generated and re-used. Can't do that with carbon.

Comment

I think my husband wanted to dance around the room because of how quiet it is now. LOL He's a lot more sensitive to noise than I am.

That is the beauty of canister. Love its quietness.

Comment

The noise of the hobs don't bother me, I used to work on the ship channel aboard a push boat. Try sleeping on one of those things at full steam...lol
                    i think mostly I wanted a system that I could manipulate flow, setup intake and output how I feel is best for my tank, adjust filter media, saves on media/cart costs (I can get various filter floss from work), let's me experiment with different media, that has a high output motor so I can sorta over stuff with media. Flow rates though on a lot of canisters seem low when compared to some hobs. For instance my penguin 350 is supposed to flow 350gph (that's assuming the mfg is accurate and without filters inplace) and is suggested for my 60g but when you look up canisters suited for a 60g their flow rates are much lower. Am I missing something?

Comment

Is that flow rate with media?
                      020G Leulepi grow-out
                      030G Leulepi breeder
                      030G SRD FlowerHorn
                      090G Tangs community
                      100G Tangs community

Comment

Originally posted by Crush View Post
                        The noise of the hobs don't bother me, I used to work on the ship channel aboard a push boat. Try sleeping on one of those things at full steam...lol
                        i think mostly I wanted a system that I could manipulate flow, setup intake and output how I feel is best for my tank, adjust filter media, saves on media/cart costs (I can get various filter floss from work), let's me experiment with different media, that has a high output motor so I can sorta over stuff with media. Flow rates though on a lot of canisters seem low when compared to some hobs. For instance my penguin 350 is supposed to flow 350gph (that's assuming the mfg is accurate and without filters inplace) and is suggested for my 60g but when you look up canisters suited for a 60g their flow rates are much lower. Am I missing something?
                        If you don't mind the noise, I think a sump is best bet to satisfy your requirements above: in-expensive, flexible in media and flow rate set up.
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community

Comment

Is that flow rate with media?
                          I assume without media but I can't find clarification on that.

i have thought about making my own but I generally go overboard on projects like that and end up spending more than if I'd just went out an bought one. Just like my daughters lemonade stand I built for her, final cost was $500 but it is nice though...lmao

Comment

Wow that's a hell of a lemonade stand lol. As for priming the fluval kinda sucks when it comes to priming it but the eheim is great, no priming
                            30G fowlr
                            55G planted community
                            30G corner Glo tank

Comment

Yeah don't ask how much I spent building her a swing set...lol
                              hows the flow on your fluval

Comment

Flow rate is important generally. It's rated for the tank size. But ultimately I believe it achieve the same goal: contacting time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                020G Leulepi grow-out
                                030G Leulepi breeder
                                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                                090G Tangs community
                                100G Tangs community

Comment

Working...
                                X