Purigen in planted tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purigen in planted tanks?

I have read varying opinions on purigen in planted tanks. i understnad there is a difference between clean and clear water. some say they use purigen without issue to give that crystal clear look....others say why add purigen when the plants themselves essentially use/absorbs all the toxins anyway.

I added purigen to my canister of the new planted tank on day 2 since the water was really cloudy. Looked better this morning after about 12 hours in the canister. All the plants are low-med light at most....so they say my plants should be fine even when cloudy

debating to leave the purigen or remove it and just let nature take its course (see how long it takes to clarify)

What is your opinion?
    Last edited by morpheus; 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM.

I have used it and it is a great filter media. I haven't used it in years. My planted tank has never seen it. It seems to be doing well. Truth is Chem. filtration Carbon, Purigen isn't needed at all. But If I could afford to use it I would. Just not in the planted tank.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

My experience is the planted tank would do great by itself.
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Will probably remove the purigen when i get home and work on getting the java ferns, needle ferns and java moss tied to the wood.

multiple people on here and FB are saying it shouldnt be needed.

Comment

When your filter is fully cycled, it would be crystal clear without purigen.
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community

Comment

people are saying its probably a bacterial bloom...i just was unsure if it being so cloudy would hurt the plants getting enough light

results should be instantaneous in my world haha no cycling need

Comment

You already have the purigen, so just used it. It doesn't harm anything. For me it was helpful to have it for the first several months in the new tank since I didn't like driftwood tanning, and my plants alone weren't be able to help much. Then too lazy to keep recharging it and ended up throwing it away. More stuff more cleaning, so no for me. The water in that tank is still crystal clear after that.

Comment

Originally posted by EpikMuffin View Post
                You already have the purigen, so just used it. It doesn't harm anything. For me it was helpful to have it for the first several months in the new tank since I didn't like driftwood tanning, and my plants alone weren't be able to help much. Then too lazy to keep recharging it and ended up throwing it away. More stuff more cleaning, so no for me. The water in that tank is still crystal clear after that.
                yes i have 500ml unopened. i really like it. i usually have some on hand to rotate in as more recharges. i use it in all my HOBs in other tanks and phased out carbon. i agree it shouldnt "harm" anything....but i also agree that the plants do absorb the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates and thats a benefit to natural cleaning of the water.

i am sure there are tanks that still do great using it, as well as others that do just as well without

Comment

Purigen do wonder to all my tank. It defines "crystal clear" water. Like you I'm phasing out using carbon in the canister.
                  020G Leulepi grow-out
                  030G Leulepi breeder
                  030G SRD FlowerHorn
                  090G Tangs community
                  100G Tangs community

Comment

Working...