New Scape Is Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scape Is Started

I finally got the tank up and running yesterday. Finished the rock work and got the Eheim going. Those directions were pretty awful. Needed YouTube to explain it.

Anyway the Eheim out acts as a waterfall source on the left. Probably another piece of drift, but I am ready for plants. Descent amount of room on the right and along the very front/back.

People on FB suggested java ferns and bolbitus to attach to the wood. i will also be putting plants into the rock formation and substrate.

Any suggestions on plants and/or feedback of the scape so far are appreciated :)

Attached Files

Looking good! I have a few plants and cuttings you can have.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Thanks troy. whatever you have available is great. probably stopping by fish gallery after work probably to see what they have as starters. will eventually need floaters as well as things for drift/rocks and substrate plants

Comment

Looks good. Have fun!

Comment

Added in a few more pieces of driftwood yesterday and some initial plants. three crypto. parva, one hygrophilia compact and one anubias. next will be tying the baby java ferns to the driftwood, some needle ferns as well and java moss. then the grow out will start

will post more pics when the tank clears up. got more cloudy on day 2. removed some of the bio media and added some purigen to the canister. some are saying to remove it since it will delay cycling....havent decided to take it out or just start dosing with stability.
          Last edited by morpheus; 07-31-2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Looking great. I would definitely tie some java moss/fern to the drift wood.
            010G Long fin BN grow-out
            020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            040G Hongi Sweden breeder
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community
            150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

we need some updated pics! its great so see pics of when you first started to see exactly how much growth and see how the tank evolved. I was looking at some pics from when I first put plants in my 60g and man how some of them have grown. I estimate Ill be trimming this anacharis before the end of this month.

Comment

i have one picture from last night on my phone right now, but you can BARELY see the hygrophilia in the back of the tank due to the haze haha. i will see what the tank looks like when i get home and snap another pic...and take out the purigen based on another thread.

will post one final pic after i attach all the ferns. might clip some wisteria out of my other tank too as a nice background filler

Comment

OK so here is an updated picture. the purigen cleared the haze in 24 hours. still have to remove it from the canister since its job is done and will see if the haze returns.

there were two small needle ferns attached (on on each side) and one baby java fern in the middle on the wood. also placed in two i think are a type of wisteria from my other tank....not sure what they are but i put a pic of that if someone can identify it. still need to do the java moss.

lastly it looks like the crypto parva some leaves are melting on each plant (the 3 in the front). i got a pic of one. you can see one leaf already draped over the rock and melted, and another in the center of the plant going down.

is this melting normal? maybe from the move and new light schedule and tank params? i still need to get the roots out of that casing they came in

Attached Files

Comment

prolly just settling into its new environment.

Comment

I like where your tank is going

Comment

Very nice. You are not filling it up to the rim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        010G Long fin BN grow-out
                        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community
                        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                          Very nice. You are not filling it up to the rim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Well the front rim is lower than the back...has a cutout about halfway between the two. it was pretty close, but when the canister kicked on it lowered. also some evaporation i am sure. i will be keeping it close to that front rim

Comment

Originally posted by Crush View Post
                            prolly just settling into its new environment.
                            yeah most likely. i removed all the culture media from the roots today....and also people said not to completely bury a crypt. leaving a little root exposure. its only a leaf or two, will see if more leaves wither or not.

probably when my Excel arrives that will help too

Comment

as an update, the crypto parva are now rooted (meaning the culture media removed and a root tab under each). the plants are still melting. some leaves are turning yellow and proceeding into nothing-ness. all the other plants are doing ok as far as i can tell

from what i read on other forums....this seems common for parva. many said its a tricky plant but is an extremely slow grower, and actually can die off to the roots and come back with a bang. i start dosing with Excel over the weekend (one capful saturday, did 1 mL on monday, do another mL today). will probably stick to the every other day schedule.

will keep everyone posted as the tank progresses. once i get all the java moss in place and other plants start to fill...i will get the shrimp
                              Last edited by morpheus; 08-05-2015, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X