Brichardi Babes Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brichardi Babes Gone

With all the latest guppy drama I haven't been watching my larger tanks like usual. Ya know, plopping myself in front of them for hours. So today I cleaned tanks and realized that the only fry in brichardi tank are their first spawn, with the exception of one that looked to be from the 2nd spawn. Everyone looks happy and healthy. How bizzare! I read that sometimes young parents will eat their young. Maybe that's what happened. The fish drama never seems to end.

Woah!! Just looked across the room and there is the peacock mating in the parrots house! Got his woman cornered in there doing the shimmy shake dance!

how large is the brichardi tank? sometimes parents do eat fry, but i only really heard of it happening when the colony was getting to big for the environment...so the parents essentially controlled their own population to spawn again. dont worry though, if they are new parents it could be a one time thing. you will have many fry sooner or later

Comment

When used to keep Brichardi, I bought a group of 10 from somebody on here. His tank was a 180 bowl front, and I remember it was filled with Brichardi of all ages. His breeding pair was a regular male and an albino female. They were big at about 4" in size. The broods are so beautiful with the yellow color in the finnage and scale. They were living in harmony in his tank. There got to be over 200 of them in that tank.
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

yeah i had a few hundred of different ages in my 56gal...i bought 6 and ended up with 3 breeding pairs. all the parents were in the 4" range...males slightly larger than females. maybe one day i will go back to them. was a neat dynamic to watch

Comment

It's a 30gal long. Mom and Dad are young, only about an inch long when I got them about 3-4mths ago. The first fry all look very good, they've finally been moving up into the higher column of the tank. I've still got my rogue one that lives alone behind the holey rock. It's cute how Dad hangs with and watches over him sometimes. I really think they're all ok. I'm not upset about the missing kids. From what I've heard I'll have plenty enough in time. I do hope dad does population control by just eating fry and not slaughtering older ones. I can't deal with finding fish bit in half and such. Much too violent for me and I'd have to rehome them.

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          how large is the brichardi tank? sometimes parents do eat fry, but i only really heard of it happening when the colony was getting to big for the environment...so the parents essentially controlled their own population to spawn again. dont worry though, if they are new parents it could be a one time thing. you will have many fry sooner or later

Comment

I keep wondering what maintenance will become when I get so stocked like that.

Originally posted by ptran View Post
            When used to keep Brichardi, I bought a group of 10 from somebody on here. His tank was a 180 bowl front, and I remember it was filled with Brichardi of all ages. His breeding pair was a regular male and an albino female. They were big at about 4" in size. The broods are so beautiful with the yellow color in the finnage and scale. They were living in harmony in his tank. There got to be over 200 of them in that tank.

Comment

Don't let the baby breed though because the quality will be bad. I remember he had a lot of them with deformed mouth and pectoral fin. It's probably be best to buy the male and female from separate source to have a higher quality in the broods.
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community

Comment

I love my guys fins, they're so pretty. I am looking forward to watching the generations work together and I'm very fond of them. Hubby thought they were very boring until the first fry came. Now he sits in front of the tank saying, "that's so neat."

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                yeah i had a few hundred of different ages in my 56gal...i bought 6 and ended up with 3 breeding pairs. all the parents were in the 4" range...males slightly larger than females. maybe one day i will go back to them. was a neat dynamic to watch

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
                  I keep wondering what maintenance will become when I get so stocked like that.
                  As long as your filtration is superb, you don't have to worry about that.
                  020G Leulepi grow-out
                  030G Leulepi breeder
                  030G SRD FlowerHorn
                  090G Tangs community
                  100G Tangs community

Comment

What would you consider superb on a 30gal with a 100+ brichardi?

As long as your filtration is superb, you don't have to worry about that.

Comment

I didn't think mom and dad would allow them to breed.

Don't let the baby breed though because the quality will be bad. I remember he had a lot of them with deformed mouth and pectoral fin. It's probably be best to buy the male and female from separate source to have a higher quality in the broods.

Comment

I love my guys fins, they're so pretty. I am looking forward to watching the generations work together and I'm very fond of them. Hubby thought they were very boring until the first fry came. Now he sits in front of the tank saying, "that's so neat."
                        Cool, he's a keeper!
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community

Comment

I didn't think mom and dad would allow them to breed.
                          They will breed if you have a large enough tank.
                          020G Leulepi grow-out
                          030G Leulepi breeder
                          030G SRD FlowerHorn
                          090G Tangs community
                          100G Tangs community

Comment

What would you consider superb on a 30gal with a 100+ brichardi?
                            I'm thinking at least 1 Eheim 2217 and an AC50
                            020G Leulepi grow-out
                            030G Leulepi breeder
                            030G SRD FlowerHorn
                            090G Tangs community
                            100G Tangs community

Comment

Yeah, I figure I'll keep him around. Not sure about him letting me hang with Crizz though, we're dangerous!

Cool, he's a keeper!

Comment

Working...
                              X