Ich In the 10gal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ich In the 10gal

well I can't believe this! Came home from work to see those dreaded spots on 2, possibly 3 of the guppies. Haven't dealt with ich in YEARS.

Honestly I'm the panicky type so I've never done salt and heat, I always do Mardel Coppersafe. My Blood Parrots will get ich any time they get the slightest chill.

I'm guessing I need to take my sword plant, nerite and unknown snail out. What about the African Dwarf Frogs and the BN pleco?

I know ya'll want tank stats and all that but I don't have the test kits.

I looked through the threads on here but didn't see anything about coppersafe and pleco, frogs, snails, although I'm sure the snails should be rehomed for this time.

Freaking Out!

Are those guppies you just bought recently? did you introduce any new fish?
    Last edited by ptran; 07-08-2015, 10:03 PM.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Yes, new ones from T & T and I was very BAD, I didn't QT and I know better!! :aua: You can scold me, I deserve it. I don't know, I didn't feel their tanks were that bad as far as dead fish goes, but maybe Crizz noticed more than I did. And I definitely didn't see any ich any where. Crizz is feeling terrible and he shoudn't. I've been doing this a long time, I'm the bad one. I even went today and bought my pleco a piece of drift wood to chew on. One thing I noticed is when I put my hand in the water earier it felt awful cold. I did loweer the temp last week but it sure seems to me that the water was much warmer yesterday than today. I'm doing 50-75% water changes 2-3x a week and sucking poo and debris out on a daily basis. The tank has been up for about 3wks and I used media from the 75gal and rocks and plants from the 75. The fish have appeared to be real happy. The boys spend an awful lot of time trying to swim into the water flow from the Tetra filter. I'm really surprised about this.

Comment

I don't like it but I always expect to see dead fish here in there at LFS and to me it seems theres also that time you go to a store and you REALLY wonder what's going on. Did they lose some of their help? family crisis? Illness, death in the family...Something? Seems like they all have those days, a week.

Comment

My clown loach get ich when the temp is too cool (like when I don't have a heater in the tank). Raise your temp slowly will probably solve the problem.
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community

Comment

I can't do salt with the pleco, snails, frogs and plants, right? I've caught it early

Comment

I don't think you need salt. Just try raising temp first. Always work for my fish when they got ich.
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community

Comment

I've raised it from 79 to 82. Can I raise it to 84 in the morning? I have a good strong bubble stone going. Hmmmm, I wonder if the cold water did it. I've got to go to bed but I'll see what ya'll say in the morn before I head out.

Thank You, Thank You!

Comment

Sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  020G Leulepi grow-out
                  030G Leulepi breeder
                  030G SRD FlowerHorn
                  090G Tangs community
                  100G Tangs community

Comment

Beth, Sorry to hear about the Ich prob. There are a few things that can give your tank Ich. Number 1 is stress. Stress will lower their immune system. This makes them more susceptible to disease. The Guppy's could have come in sick but not likely. Could it be cold water? I do 50% water changes that lower the temp and never get Ich. So probably not. I could be all the work you do in the tank or tank mates stressing them.
                    The important part is to get it gone. Raise the temp above 85. ad 2 spoons of salt. It will be gone in 5 days. It will not hurt the fish but the plants wont like it. But they will recover too.
                    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Got up this morning to find my husbands favorite male dead and he didn't even want guppies until he saw how pretty they are. My fav with the black tail is covered, the one with the smokey blue tail is covered, the other cobra's body looks hazy. My girls look about the same.

I raised the temp to about 85 before I left home this morning, wonder what I'll go home to. I don't think the fish were sick when I got them. If it's not the cooler water then it must be because I'm messing around in the tank too much. I don't think the pleco, frogs or snails are bothering the guppies and betta. The betta doesn't bother the guppies at all, I'm very pleased with her disposition. I did a big water change on Sunday and the tank was a bit cloudy until yesterday and then I kept moving everything looking for the fish that vanished. This really stinks.

Comment

Beth, it's hard to diagnose what went wrong without more data especially data on your water test. Sounds like they stressed out. Maybe turn off the light for a while would help too.
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community

Comment

I left the light off this morning. debating on taking snails and frogs out and treating with medicine.

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                          Beth, it's hard to diagnose what went wrong without more data especially data on your water test. Sounds like they stressed out. Maybe turn off the light for a while would help too.

Comment

Okay, finger cross for you.
                            020G Leulepi grow-out
                            030G Leulepi breeder
                            030G SRD FlowerHorn
                            090G Tangs community
                            100G Tangs community

Comment

Was the one that died from T&T? I KNOW you didn't kill the guppies I gave you, right?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X