New AQ 110 Getting Clogged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AQ 110 Getting Clogged

Have any of you had an issue with the sponge in the AQ getting clogged real fast? I'm thinking of taking the sponge out and replacing it with something else. Or I guess I could cut the sponge in half?? It hasn't even been a week since I rinsed it out and it's already clogged and water is trickeling out instead of pouring.

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
    Have any of you had an issue with the sponge in the AQ getting clogged real fast? I'm thinking of taking the sponge out and replacing it with something else. Or I guess I could cut the sponge in half?? It hasn't even been a week since I rinsed it out and it's already clogged and water is trickeling out instead of pouring.
    Hi Beth
    I have been using an AQ 70 and I have had no problem with the sponge getting clogged. If it is getting clogged then it is picking up lots of debris and that is a good thing. Are you feeding flake food and do you shut the filter when you feed the fish?

Comment

I feed spirulina flakes and cichlid pellets. I have a prefilter sponge on the intake. It's filthy every time I clean it.

Originally posted by Ken B View Post
      Hi Beth
      I have been using an AQ 70 and I have had no problem with the sponge getting clogged. If it is getting clogged then it is picking up lots of debris and that is a good thing. Are you feeding flake food and do you shut the filter when you feed the fish?

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
        I feed spirulina flakes and cichlid pellets. I have a prefilter sponge on the intake. It's filthy every time I clean it.
        Is the trouble with the prefilter or the foam inside the filter?
        Last edited by Ken B; 07-02-2015, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Hmm, I'm thinking if you have a pre-filter, the foam pad shouldn't get clogged that fast. Maybe time to replace the pre-filter sponge.
          010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I bought the AQ and prefilter sponge this past mother's day. I'll try a new prefilter sponge though.

Originally posted by ptran View Post
            Hmm, I'm thinking if you have a pre-filter, the foam pad shouldn't get clogged that fast. Maybe time to replace the pre-filter sponge.

Comment

If your water looks like tea, i think your overfeeding at servings. I feed my cichlids floating pellets. I deal with the same issues in my filter. The Pellets flow into filter. break down . and expand clogging sponge over time. Your filter is fine. It's doing a fine job.

Comment

Originally posted by funsize_jav View Post
                If your water looks like tea, i think your overfeeding at servings. I feed my cichlids floating pellets. I deal with the same issues in my filter. The Pellets flow into filter. break down . and expand clogging sponge over time. Your filter is fine. It's doing a fine job.
                I agree with funsize_jav. The purpose of a prefilter is to capture the larger particles before it gets to the main filter. This helps the main filter to last longer between maintenance. The prefilter would normally be in a position where it could be easily removed and cleaned. It could be normal that your prefilter is getting clogged up fast. It is doing a great service for you!

Comment

Working...
                X