New Tank Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tank Ideas

I am just brainstorming now for what to do with this new tank. It will be an open top aquarium, so in regards to fish they need to be non jumpers (at least not known for jumping). If i had to estimate, the tank is around 20 gal give or take. i will have to measure.

my initial idea is as follows...but yet to be seen if i pull it off. would welcome any and all suggestions :)

-Natural rock wall on the back surface. Like from home depot that they sell by sq foot
    -Some river rock on substrate and heavy on lower light plants, possibly that grow out of the water
    -Output from canister drilled through the rock for a waterfall type effect
    -Dark substrate like black diamond sand
    -Maybe a few longer thin pieces of driftwood coming up out of water
    -Possible fish (not sure how easily i can get them):
    -Dario Dario (scarlet badis)
    -Elassoma species (pygmy sunfish)

Attached Files

Sounds good. To be honest, your idea is exactly what I envision before reading your post.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
      Sounds good. To be honest, your idea is exactly what I envision before reading your post.
      thanks. on top of the design, if i can become a ptran level breeder as well where its just add water and fry appear :) why i want to keep this a species specific tank

Comment

LOL you know the name of the game bro: water quality. :emt_thumbs:
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Could do a nice emergent growth low tech planted tank, stock it with Scarlet Badis, some CPD's, or some Bororas sp. and maybe some mini moth cats. Add some yellow or cherry shrimp and you'd be set.... Also could go bigger fish and same set up, use RO water and a Ph reducing substrate and do a colony of SA leaffish. Brackish bumblebee goby tank with emergent manzantita and mangroves would be cool as well
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
            Could do a nice emergent growth low tech planted tank, stock it with Scarlet Badis, some CPD's, or some Bororas sp. and maybe some mini moth cats. Add some yellow or cherry shrimp and you'd be set.... Also could go bigger fish and same set up, use RO water and a Ph reducing substrate and do a colony of SA leaffish. Brackish bumblebee goby tank with emergent manzantita and mangroves would be cool as well
            yeah when i researched more of the nano fish species the brgitte rasboras did come up a lot...as well as celestial pearls. there seemed to be maybe 5 main options people recommended. when tim had those badis badis, i always have had in my mind wanting a badis species someday

wouldnt any of these options prey on shrimplets? i was thinking a few corys for cleanup duty. like pandas, three line or julii

Comment

There are 5-8 different species in the Bororas clade and all look similar, the Chilis are the best looking though I think they all look cool in their own way. You could go African micros or SA micros as well, they are just harder to find all the species for and might involve some waiting or ordering. African you could do a riverine tank with jellybean tetra, Jae barbs, or some of the weirder groups there and accent them with microsynodontis sp. and ornate microctenoptoma (ansorgii, I think), SA you could do with either Ember, or Ruby tetra and maybe a smaller apistogramma and some pygmy corydoras. Couple of different approaches here and I'll try and explain my reasoning. I am a bit of a nut for biotopes, so I usually stick to the region or something that might mimic their natural habitat. Theoretically shrimp are found in all those biotopes, but finding them would be impossible. I'd simply go with something that might look close. Only issue there is they will likely get eaten, with cherries and a dense enough planted tank its no worries as most would only eat the babies and leave the adults alone. A few would probably make it and keep the whole train rolling (except the SA tank, Apistos are rough on even adult shrimp). Ornate ctenoptomas and Scarlet badis are both notoriously picky eaters and can be hard to provide for. Most are successful in a cherry breeding colony tank as they have access to free food all the time and thrive, thus why I added them. Amanos are better, but larger and don't reproduce so you lose the food making ability. Personally I'd swap the cories for mini moths as they are appropriate for the biotope and basically do the same thing. I'd set the tank up, get it planted and let the shrimp colony get really rolling before adding any scarlet badis, maybe toss in some bororas when you find them and that way its very established and stable for their inclusion. Hope that all made sense.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

it would definitely be an incremental addition. having never done this type of fish, i would want the tank well established before the scarlets get in there.

The RCS does make more sense now. i did read the scarlets were a little picky and are more timid eaters. having faster fish in the tank can cause them to not get enough food. they suggested daphnia, black worms, grindal worms, baby brine, white worms, vinegar eels, etc. some said no to bloodworms and tubifex cause they can cause obesity. some articles did suggest having a natural food source all the time available, so the shrimplets or small snails would work for that. if the snails start to run wild just throw the excess in with my pea puffers for a snack

i have no attachment to cories, so the mini moths would be fine too.

everything is still in the planning phase...but learning a lot in the meantime. shrimp and plant grow out would probably be first step.

Comment

If your simply hunting plants and shrimp, hit me up when I'm onshore and your welcome to swing by, I can get you a lot of different clippings and some cherries to start. All you really need is a light, filter, and some substrate and you should be golden
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

I personally would go with Eco-Complete unless you are dead set on a soft water set up. They can be wicked cool, but also a PITA especially with an open top. I personally would do a 50/50 mix with distilled. Honestly even some clip on flood lights with 6500K bulbs would work fine for lighting that tank. Suspending a light would be really nice, but a nice fixture will certainly run a bit...Might have another idea, let me see if I can find the link...
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

This is a decent clip on light that would make for easy adjustments and keep a clean polished look for the tank. Not a bad price and exactly what you'd need. Add on a smaller canister (2213 or maybe one of the pico sun suns and you'd be all set.
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

i am not set on soft water. i gave up on soft water down here haha. i know it can be done, but its a lot of work. i was thinking a clip on light and small canister...the eco-complete sounds fine for what i am envisioning.

after this recent vacation, i have to wait for some bills to dwindle before i go ahead and order what i need. i just like to map out things in advance. any clippings are always appreciated. i will let you know when i am plant ready.

Comment

this will be a nice little tank.
                          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

ooooohhhhhh love celestial pearls! i've seen them in real life once. made me drool.

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                            yeah when i researched more of the nano fish species the brgitte rasboras did come up a lot...as well as celestial pearls. there seemed to be maybe 5 main options people recommended. when tim had those badis badis, i always have had in my mind wanting a badis species someday

wouldnt any of these options prey on shrimplets? i was thinking a few corys for cleanup duty. like pandas, three line or julii

Comment

Christmas in July has started! the first shipment yesterday. i think the filter will arrive today or tomorrow. will only need the rocks/driftwood, and i think wednesday i will be able to start scaping and startup

Arrived:
                              20 lb bag of CaribSea Eco Complete
                              Finnex Fugeray Planted+ Strip light
                              -> Was smaller than i thought so might impact how i scape the tank. or buy a second one next month
                              Aquatop GH50 heater
                              Flourish Root Tabs
                              500mL of Purigen
                              Mesh media bags

Still to come
                              Eheim 2211 Classic
                              Flourish Excel

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X