Good algea fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good algea fish?

So I'm not in Houston anymore. Took a super long hiatus from HFS because I had to get rid of all my fish before I left for college. Now, I'm in Ohio.

With that being said, my room mates have a 50gal drum in their back yard that they use to collect rain water. This water is used to water the house plants and the garden in dry times. It also collects mosquitoes like nobody's business. To remedy this, they drop a dozen goldfish in. However, the amount of algae in it makes it a little smelly to use on the house plants.

So, to get the algae under control, I was wondering what kinds of fish I could drop into the drum. It is stagnant water with a few gallon refill every week or so with the summer storms. Would a pleco or two work for this? The goldfish have survived the winters before but would a pleco? I'm sure that it could be moved inside for the winter if needed, as well.

Are there other fish that could do this job?
    College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

IMO> The albino bristle nose pleco is the best algae eater. Not sure if it would live through the winters in Ohio.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Plecos can take care of algae, but at the same time they are waste producer. I don't think they can survive the cold weather.
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...