Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocking Question

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm curious to know what your opinions are on what I have in the 75gal. I went ahead and got 4 more acei like some other cichlid people told me to. I guess my main question is about the socolofi. What's your opinion about it. Leave it, add more, remove it?? I cut and pasted from my intro. See below and thank you for advice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ok, I'll stick my neck out. I have a male and female blood parrot. I didn't know about hybrids when I got them but they have been with me for 6-8yrs. I have 1 red jewel that's my most timid fish and I've had "her" for over a year. I have an acei that I think I've had around 3-4yrs. He was with 5 others but one day I came in to an acei frenzy that had already killed, and were in the process of killing another female peacock. I was able to get all but the remaining acei out of the tank and took them to the LFS. I had bought OB peacocks not knowing that they too were hybrids. I now have 6 of their offspring with 1 male looking completely normal and an outcast that I think might be a subdominant male. I have a yellow lab that I got around the same time as the jewel and also an albino socolofi that was bought around that time as well. I've got some Kuhli loaches that have been in the 75gal longer than any one. I swear they dance on the cichlids heads and they could care less. The socolofi bumps them with it's nose but never tries to bite them. It only bumps them when it's hovering on the sand and a loach is right in it's face. I also have emerald green corry cats that the cichlids don't bother with. Oh, and a red tail shark. On the advice of experienced cichlid people I have bought 4 more yellow labs for the tank. The acei had been tormenting the one lab and I've been advised to add more labs and acei. I had thought a lot about taking the acei to the LFS but husband said no. I really don't want any more of them. I have recently looked up the labs skirt and confirmed that she's a girl and looked down the acei's pants and seen that he's a boy. The acei and lab are the only 2 that have really been giving me trouble and it's just him not allowing her to come out and swim. The socolofi concerns me but so far he just gives chase but has not out and out attacked anyone, yet. The blood parrots are the tank bosses with the acei and socolfi jockying between 2nd and 3rd in command. I like the parrots authority the best. So that's my crazy 75gal. Let it fly.

Socofoli is a fiece warrior IME. I used to have a Mbuna tank and he is the king. Beautiful fish but extremely aggressive. If he doesn't bother anybody I would keep him.

So how many fish total do you have in the 75?
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

He's [really don't know the gender] been in there for at least a year. He does a lot of chasing but so far has not killed any one. I think he's the most aggressive fish in the tank. I call him jerk face. LOL The albino version and I don't normally like albinos. For some reason he really likes my female parrot. I just looked over there and he's racing around her and acting all excited. I've noticed lately that the male parrot's tail fin is a little nipped but I saw a female peacock nip him.

Once I add the new labs and acei I'll have 23 fish not including the kuhlis. The lone acei won't allow the lab to swim around. I don't exactly know how many loaches I have. If I consistently see only 2 or 3 for about a year I will add 2 or 3 more. I guess that's crazy huh. I know there's not tons of loaches though. I have an emperor 400, and a new aq 110 that I bought recently. I had moved the other bio wheel to the brichardi tank when their filter croaked. I have an eheim 2213 that someone gave me and I think about adding it. I do 50-75% water changes on the weekend.

Thank you for the response.

Originally posted by ptran View Post
      Socofoli is a fiece warrior IME. I used to have a Mbuna tank and he is the king. Beautiful fish but extremely aggressive. If he doesn't bother anybody I would keep him.

So how many fish total do you have in the 75?

Comment

Socofoli is monomorphic, so you won't be able to tell the gender unless they breed. Can you share of photo of your tank?
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...