Angel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Tank

I've kept angels before in a 40 breeder a while back, was thinking of doing an angel tank only. If I went with a 75 or a 90, how many full size angels can I keep? Is a shorter and taller tank better for them, or a longer and not as tall tank Better. I have 4ft in length in the spot I can put the tank. So biggest I can go with is a 120. Do they require a planted tank?
    20Long
    8Ebi

120 planted tank would be nice. Taller glass definitely gives a better display for angels.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Full sized angels would appreciate the taller tank. I recommend the 90g or the 120g because these are tall enough and I would start with no less then 6 - 8 angels. You could keep 10 - 12 in a 120g. It's common to see angels displayed in planted tanks and there is nothing wrong with that, but the habitat of wild angelfish have very few plants. Mostly branches of fallen trees makes up the actual biotopes that angels live in. No plant growth due to lack of light and acidic water that is the often the color of tea. Captive bred angelfish won't require these conditions. Not all wild angelfish come from black water. No need for excessive water movement because angels live in calm, still water.

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
        120 planted tank would be nice. Taller glass definitely gives a better display for angels.
        I'm thinking of doing either 120 or 90 since those are the biggest I can fit in the space availible, wanted to do a frontosa 120 but I figured I'd at least need a 125 or 180. So I'll just do an angel tank for now since I still love angels. Then once I get my own place get a 180. So you think angels will be okay if I just did rocks? Like a cichlid tank would have, I was trying to keep the cost down. Didn't want to buy plants and soil and special lighting. Wanted to do just sand and maybe some black star rock or any granite type rock.
        20Long
        8Ebi

Comment

Originally posted by blaciarmd View Post
          Full sized angels would appreciate the taller tank. I recommend the 90g or the 120g because these are tall enough and I would start with no less then 6 - 8 angels. You could keep 10 - 12 in a 120g. It's common to see angels displayed in planted tanks and there is nothing wrong with that, but the habitat of wild angelfish have very few plants. Mostly branches of fallen trees makes up the actual biotopes that angels live in. No plant growth due to lack of light and acidic water that is the often the color of tea. Captive bred angelfish won't require these conditions. Not all wild angelfish come from black water. No need for excessive water movement because angels live in calm, still water.
          Thanks for all the info man! Going to do either 90 or 120.
          20Long
          8Ebi

Comment

I recently bought a new 90 MarineLand from FishLand. Beautiful looking tank! But 120 would be more room LOL
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community

Comment

Did you get just the tank and stand ?
              20Long
              8Ebi

Comment

Tank, stand and glass top
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                  Tank, stand and glass top
                  Do you mind me asking how much you paid for that setup?
                  20Long
                  8Ebi

Comment

Not at all. PM sent
                    020G Leulepi grow-out
                    030G Leulepi breeder
                    030G SRD FlowerHorn
                    090G Tangs community
                    100G Tangs community

Comment

ADG did a great hardscape for angels with no plants before, think its up on their website. Here is the pic of it and the details (it was for WC Altums)
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

Angels in large groups tend to pair off and start killing off the others. You can keep a large group but they need to be all the same sex. All male or all female. keeps them from killing off the others. there will always be a pecking order. Wild angels are different. Altum have never been tank bread. Scalar will tank breed from the wild but are much harder and get along better.
                        Angels do like tall water with lots of branches. things to swim around. space is key. I give 10g or more to my angels.
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                          Angels in large groups tend to pair off and start killing off the others. You can keep a large group but they need to be all the same sex. All male or all female. keeps them from killing off the others. there will always be a pecking order. Wild angels are different. Altum have never been tank bread. Scalar will tank breed from the wild but are much harder and get along better.
                          Angels do like tall water with lots of branches. things to swim around. space is key. I give 10g or more to my angels.
                          I was at fish land today, and saw the 4ft 120 and the 4ft 110, I liked the 110 because it was a bit taller than the 120. The 120 is just more deep. I'd rather go with the 110 since it is taller, and get some nice manzanita wood. What do you think? I have space for either the 120 48x24x24 or the 110 48x18x30.
                          20Long
                          8Ebi

Comment

The 110 would be a great angel tank.
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                              The 110 would be a great angel tank.

That's what I was thinking , just get some nice stones and big manzanita branches. Don't want the tank to be to complicated And money into it lol
                              20Long
                              8Ebi

Comment

Working...
                              X