No announcement yet.

Goby/Hillstream/Shrimp tank build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would love to do a set up like that. Don't have to mess with CO2 or fertilizer.
    If you don't mind, can you post a full tank shot.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
      Would love to do a set up like that. Don't have to mess with CO2 or fertilizer.
      If you don't mind, can you post a full tank shot.
      If I have time today, I'll post the FTS...work permitting.

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Here's the FTS. Had to get pretty far away to get the whole 6' in the frame. Please excuse the concrete floor...I finally pulled the ugly, nasty carpet up and haven't got my new flooring from John Crowder yet.

Mark
        Last edited by wesleydnunder; 05-19-2015, 10:20 AM.
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Wow, that's absolutely stunning planted tank. Now I'm wondering how that would work. You have almost no stocking, no fertilizer and no CO2, no soil. This is exactly the set up that I want. (LOL because I'm lazy and don't like to mess with the high tech stuff). So what the plants feed on? (Sorry if that's a dumb question)
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community

Comment

Wow, that's absolutely stunning planted tank. Now I'm wondering how that would work. You have almost no stocking, no fertilizer and no CO2, no soil. This is exactly the set up that I want. (LOL because I'm lazy and don't like to mess with the high tech stuff). So what the plants feed on? (Sorry if that's a dumb question)
            There is enough nitrate generated by the filter to feed them slowly. Water changes replenish potassium, phosphate and traces. If I dosed lightly I'd get some better growth from my c. wendtii, maybe, but I'm kinda lazy too so it suits me fine right now. Back when I had discus in this tank I had it set up high tech with daily fert., co2, soil/fluorite mix and almost daily gardening. It got old so when I sold my discus I really wasn't trying for a lush tank, just a different style tank for some fish I hadn't tried yet.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Great. Thanks for sharing.

I also notice you have very strong lighting on for long period of time (12 hours a day). Any problem with hair algae?
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community

Comment

Great. Thanks for sharing.

I also notice you have very strong lighting on for long period of time (12 hours a day). Any problem with hair algae?
                Not that strong; approx. 2WPG. No issues with hair algae ever. I do the extended photoperiod to encourage the growth of green and red algae which the gobies and hillstreams eat. However, there is almost no accumulation of these algaes because all the inhabitants seem to love it. I feed two or three times a week; mainly a mix of Repashy Community Plus, Soilent Green and Shrimp soufflé. I drop in fresh spinach and cuke about once a week on a Screwcumber. Occasionally they get some Ken's spirulina flake or algae wafers.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                X