What is on our roots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is on our roots?

We have a 30 gallon planted tank. In a few places, on the root that we have as a centerpiece, there is a strange growth. We have noticed it in the past, on dried wood peices that we have added. At that time, our Mystery Snails took care of it and seemed to love it. This time around, I have assasin snails in the tank. When I added some new Mystery Snails, the assassin's seemed to get pretty excited. Any tips? What IS it?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

what type of wood is it. looks like fungus.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Newly submerged wood seems to fungus like that, eventually it fades with time. That or might be a bit of uneaten food, its hard to see clearly if its one or the other
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

assassin snails hunt other snails, so yes they will get excited by the addition of the mystery snails :)...i have heard of assassins teaming up on larger snails to take them down. usually you just add pond snails or ramshorn for the assassins to chase. otherwise they just eat the algae, extra food, anything

Comment

Sorry for slow response. It is a root cutting, I guess. Today, I have what looks like spider webs in the tank, despite eater change and cleaning yesterday.

Comment

Nice little tank. Looks like a grape plant maybe? Try an albino bristle nose pleco. They stay small and will help with the fungus.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I have a kuhli loach, reticulated loach and two gobies (I think) that are bottom feeders... Then 6 neon tetras and two adult betta. Assassin snails and two types of shrimp help clean too... Its just a 30 gallon, so I'm not sure a pleco would work...

Comment

The bristle nose plexus stay small around 4 to 6 inches but yes the common plexus would be to large for the 30 gal

Comment

Originally posted by MommaMelanie View Post
                  I have a kuhli loach, reticulated loach and two gobies (I think) that are bottom feeders... Then 6 neon tetras and two adult betta. Assassin snails and two types of shrimp help clean too... Its just a 30 gallon, so I'm not sure a pleco would work...
                  Plecos

Originally posted by chadw1920 View Post
                  The bristle nose plexus stay small around 4 to 6 inches but yes the common plexus would be to large for the 30 gal

Comment

ottocinclus catfish are good schooling algae eaters that stay small (around 2 inches). many people like siamese algae eaters as well. they eat a variety of different algae types, but get a little larger (into the 4-6 inch range).

Comment

Originally posted by MommaMelanie View Post
                      Sorry for slow response. It is a root cutting, I guess. Today, I have what looks like spider webs in the tank, despite eater change and cleaning yesterday.
                      Very nicely done! Like you driftwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      010G Long fin BN grow-out
                      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                      020G Leulepi grow-out
                      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                      030G Leulepi breeder
                      030G SRD FlowerHorn
                      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                      090G Tangs community
                      100G Tangs community
                      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi