convert 120v to 240v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert 120v to 240v?

Does anyone know if there's a way to safely convert one of my standard 120v house outlets to a 240v outlet? I was in the market for a uv sterilizer and being loyal to eheim, decided to order a eheim reeflex uv from the UK despite a lack of reviews. Well it turns out the product was never made to work on standard US outlets as it needs 240v to operate. I'm unable to return the item since I've opened it and tested it, so is there a converter or anything that will safely convert just one of my outlets while not affecting the other outlets in the room that my other equipment is plugged into?

They make outlet adapters for world travelers.dont know if they are ok to use 24-7.

Comment

to upgrade an outlet you would need to re-wire it all the way from the breaker panel to the outlet, and increase the size of the breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by ROB281 View Post
        to upgrade an outlet you would need to re-wire it all the way from the breaker panel to the outlet, and increase the size of the breaker.
        Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a lot more trouble and money than its worth. I was hoping there was a plug in converter or something like mentioned earlier but agree I don't know if it's safe to run that 24/7. Guess I just have to accept I wasted some money =(

Comment

Sounds like you need a transformer.
          010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I think the converter would work. If it's OK to work for 20 minutes it's OK to work for 24hrs. It wouldn't make sense to make something like that and give it to the public to use. Big safety issue they would get pulled off the shelves real quick. Doubt your the first to have this question

Comment

I have not heard of a 120 to 240 volt convertor. The ones overseas convert 240v to 120v. For 240v you need 2 120v legs. So the adapter eliminates one 120v legs so we can use our 120v devices overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                Sounds like you need a transformer.
                Correct: You would either need to find a 1:2 isolation step up transformer and a receptacle to match the prong configuration of the European plug or pull a 240 V circuit dedicated to the spot you need it and again find a receptacle that matches the plug. The breaker for this is a two pole breaker; its amperage is based on the requirement of the UV sterilizer. Either one will require an electrician.

Mark
                What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                X