Thinking about making changes to planted 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about making changes to planted 90

I have my planted 90 gal tank will try to post pictures tonight. I have several questions about plants and fish. first I have LED lights the Aqueon modular set-up so I'm wanting to know if thats strong enough for moderate light plants it does just fine for the low-light Java ferns and amazon swords. I dose with both excel and flourish as the bottles direct, basically I would like to add some red coloring with out having to change the lights.
    Secondly the tank is stocked with 4 angels, 4 geo. brasiliensis, 2 electric blue acara, 1 emperor tetra, 5 cardinal tetra, and around 10 or so rummy nose tetra. I also have a pair of apistogramma panduro and apistogramma agassizi that I'm growing out that I eventually want to add to the 90, but I'm thinking I probably need to remove the brasiliensis and the acaras first, I know the geos will out grow the tank probably sooner than later. So any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated
    125g: Empty For Now
    90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

As far as red plants I have personally kept in low tech set ups there are really three that have managed to stay alive. Nymphaea zenkeri (Red Tiger Lotus) was one that did great, but really needs some high light or perhaps a spotlight in the tank to really get going. Scarlet Temple (Alternanthera reineckii) has done alright, but is slow growing and shows a lot less of its vibrancy in low tech lower light set ups. Ludwigia is the last, having a few different forms I'll cover. The Ludwigia Repens natural form did the best hands down, gets nice red coloration on emerging leaves, but greens with age. Ludwigia "Red" and Ludwigia inclinata never did well and even under high lights just wasted away. I can say they look like they do in pics and are amazingly colored, but suspected they really needed a high tech set up to do well.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

I love my planted tank. It's always changing. it's a 40 hex. and the lights are 2 10g hoods with 2 of the 900lum. screw-in bulbs. 4 bulbs in all. light it up pretty good. I do use root tabs but nothing else. My plants grow fast.

The Brasiliensis will need to go. They wont out grow the tank but they will tare-up some plants. I'm not sure about the Acara.
      I would add some light but if you are already growing low light plants you may be okay.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

yeah the plants are growing no doubt the swords have had runners and the java fern are doing the new plants on the old leaf thing that they do but Just wanted to add a splash of red and my biggest concern with the geos and acaras is that I don't want them to make a snack out of the apisto although they haven't messed with the tetras at all

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

As to the fsih, the geos are definitely earth eaters/movers so would give some plants roots fits for sure. We have big geos in a 105 and they have not eaten anything very small, but there are only larger tetra in the tank. Bee said they ate all the Rummy nose that she put in the tank, but left the Emperors alone. Think it might be body shape as the rummy are thinner and more easily swallowed.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

yeah I haven't notice any rummys missing but these are still relatively small

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I just started some red tiger lotus about 2 months ago. It looked like it was going to die but a couple weeks ago it started taking off. It's still small but showing new growth every day. I also have Ludwigia. It is doing very well (as Roy said they would) both are a nice red color.

Comment

ok will definately look into both of those

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Bee's Geo's are Tapajo are't they? Brasiliensis has a small mouth compared to most Geophagus. The dom. will get about 6" the other not as big.

Comment

yeah mine don't really mess with any of the sand around the plants the mostly stay out in the open but I have noticed that one has gotten a lot bigger than the others so I'm thinking thats the dom male

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Yeah, They are Tapajos and are hitting the 6-8" mark, they are really living up to their genus name. The Banjo likes it as he gets covered regularly without much work at all. We have 3-4" of PFS in the tank and almost half is down to the glass at any given time while the other side is piled high. Try to even it out during water changes, but eventually gave up the ghost and let them keep it however they want
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by LordBarron7692 View Post
                        I have my planted 90 gal tank will try to post pictures tonight. I have several questions about plants and fish. first I have LED lights the Aqueon modular set-up so I'm wanting to know if thats strong enough for moderate light plants it does just fine for the low-light Java ferns and amazon swords. I dose with both excel and flourish as the bottles direct, basically I would like to add some red coloring with out having to change the lights.
                        Secondly the tank is stocked with 4 angels, 4 geo. brasiliensis, 2 electric blue acara, 1 emperor tetra, 5 cardinal tetra, and around 10 or so rummy nose tetra. I also have a pair of apistogramma panduro and apistogramma agassizi that I'm growing out that I eventually want to add to the 90, but I'm thinking I probably need to remove the brasiliensis and the acaras first, I know the geos will out grow the tank probably sooner than later. So any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated
                        Can you show some pic of your tank.
                        010G Long fin BN grow-out
                        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community
                        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I will as soon as I get home and snap some pictures lol

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

In my 75g my brasiliensis killed every plant in the tank.
                            My tapajo's aren't that big but the can move 50lb of sand a day.
                            Satanopreca daemon is still my fav.
                            Last edited by troy tucker; 04-27-2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Full Tank Shot20150427_185229.jpg
                              Attached Files

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Working...
                              X