Adler cones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adler cones

Hey just wondering if anyone has ever used Adler cones? Can you put them in the filter or do they need to go directly in the tank? How long do they last?
    125g: Empty For Now
    90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

We use them occasionally in our shrimp tank along with Indian Almond Leaves. Basically they are like little pine cones, you can bag them and put in a filter though most use them in the display tank as detritus along with the IAL to replicate leaf litter and for biofilm to grow on for tiny grazers like fry and shrimp. As for their effectiveness at lowering the Ph, its not terrifically great unless you have softer water. Peat pellets (Ehiem Torf) is a better route if that is your end goal in my opinion.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Yeah I have some peat moss but not sure about using it in a canister filter since I think it's only works for a few weeks before needing to replace

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

peat moss Will not do the same thing as Ehiem peat pellets. Peat bog is what it's made from. Alder cones, almond leaves, and even banana leaves Will help soften water but not enough to make it worth the truble.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Hmmmm want to soften water some with out breaking the bank lol

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I have been test and use Alder cones, almond leaves, and peat moss. They are work same for make water have low PH . On the Alder cones, almond leaves you can put it direct to the tank and it take a while to make PH go low but these make your tank look natural and take few months to brake down and it good food for shrimp or small fish. and one import thing on the Alder cones, almond leaves will release some med that help the fish prevent itch and skin problem. The cons is it hard to maintain the PH you want to be long time. The Peat moss, that I use it right now in my filter and I love it . I keep my PH 6.2 to 6.5. the peat that I use Sera Super peat that I bought from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21338

Comment

If you don't mind the dark water. Give it a try. IF you don't like it you can always take it out.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Hmmm might give it a try.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by hungvanvo View Post
                  I have been test and use Alder cones, almond leaves, and peat moss. They are work same for make water have low PH . On the Alder cones, almond leaves you can put it direct to the tank and it take a while to make PH go low but these make your tank look natural and take few months to brake down and it good food for shrimp or small fish. and one import thing on the Alder cones, almond leaves will release some med that help the fish prevent itch and skin problem. The cons is it hard to maintain the PH you want to be long time. The Peat moss, that I use it right now in my filter and I love it . I keep my PH 6.2 to 6.5. the peat that I use Sera Super peat that I bought from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21338
                  Good to know. Thanks Hung.
                  010G Long fin BN grow-out
                  020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                  020G Leulepi grow-out
                  020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                  030G Leulepi breeder
                  030G SRD FlowerHorn
                  040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                  090G Tangs community
                  100G Tangs community
                  150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment