Chillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chillers

Trying to find out about chillers. Will a chiller be able to keep a tank (or 2) cool enough in the hot texas summer? I am thinking of putting tanks in the garage where there is not A/C or heat. Is anyone doing this now successfully? Of course, I would want to know about the unsuccessful attempts as well.
    Last edited by sisyphus895; 04-18-2015, 09:26 PM.
    300g Discus tank

200g African tank - Malawi

36g
    Fry (Leleupi Fry)

Well, I posted this under cichlid forum, with no response. So, I close it and reposted here. Still no response. I assume that means not too many people put tanks in their garages. I thought I might be able to add more tanks and still maintain harmony inside the house, if I put them in the garage. After all, it was her idea when she saw me browsing tanks here.

Tanks anyway.
    300g Discus tank

36g
    Fry (Leleupi Fry)

Comment

there is a post someplace on here about tanks in the garage. As a kid my dad had tanks in the garage. It was always winter he was worried about.
      If you have a good fan and ventilation Your water should be fine. unless you are keeping gold fish. Most fish can take the heat but you do have to watch the temp.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Thanks Troy. Yeah, I was kinda excited about maybe getting more tanks and fish. With close to 400g in the house, the garage is probably my only option (new house maybe). I do have some fans and hoods with fans. I figure the temp will be in the mid 90's. Yes winter's will be an issue too.
        300g Discus tank

36g
        Fry (Leleupi Fry)

Comment

I have tanks in the garage. I looked at chillers but decided to go with a couple of window a/c units instead. Water temps still get ridiculously high in the Summer - I need to invest in some insulation! Best garage setup I've seen was a guy that I bought a couple of tanks from a few years ago. He had built a wall dividing his garage in two, car on one side and fish tanks on the other. He insulated everything including foam panels on his steel garage door and put a big window unit in there. He was able to keep the air temp in the mid 70s in the garage in the Summer.

Comment

Thanks LabRat. I also know someone in League City that has a garage full of tanks. I might have to stop by and see what he is doing.
            300g Discus tank

36g
            Fry (Leleupi Fry)

Comment

I think if you're only doing it for 1 or 2 tanks, it's not worth the investment/trouble, unless you already have AC in the garage or insulation. Winter shouldn't be too rough, just the addition of extra heating elements, but summer is more tricky when temps rise to 100+. Fans are great for creating agitation and cooling the water, but I'd still worry about keeping the temp down. Let us know what you end up doing, I'm interested to see how it works out

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

And chillers are super expensive when it comes to aquarium equipment

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

With close to 400g in the house,
                  I'm close to that but did have 14 tanks running. Now I have 4 and planning to get to 2.
                  The garage isn't the best place but with some creativity You could fit more in the house. check out some of the others fish rooms.

Comment

Oh one of my Fav's is DoubleDutch in Cory addiction. his stacked tank are nice and there are others.

Comment

A stacked system would be nice. I would like to have a "fish room" but can't do in it the current house. Need a fifth bedroom or a house with office. I'll have to work on my better half. Thanks for the info guys.
                      300g Discus tank

36g
                      Fry (Leleupi Fry)

Comment

Originally posted by sisyphus895 View Post
                        Trying to find out about chillers. Will a chiller be able to keep a tank (or 2) cool enough in the hot texas summer? I am thinking of putting tanks in the garage where there is not A/C or heat. Is anyone doing this now successfully? Of course, I would want to know about the unsuccessful attempts as well.
                        I'm surprised that not many people chimes in on this topic. I know a few people that keep tanks in the garage without any problem. Invest in a couple big fan and make sure you have a window to vent out the hot air.
                        010G Long fin BN grow-out
                        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community
                        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
                          And chillers are super expensive when it comes to aquarium equipment
                          Yep. Equipment cost and maintenance cost.
                          020G Leulepi grow-out
                          030G Leulepi breeder
                          030G SRD FlowerHorn
                          090G Tangs community
                          100G Tangs community

Comment

Thanks. I don't think I am going to go the garage route. I may have made a deal for another inside tank. Might cost me my video arcade game though. Argh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            300g Discus tank

36g
                            Fry (Leleupi Fry)

Comment

Not a bad deal. It would cost me a LV bag. An arm and a leg! LOL
                              020G Leulepi grow-out
                              030G Leulepi breeder
                              030G SRD FlowerHorn
                              090G Tangs community
                              100G Tangs community

Comment

Working...
                              X