Getting back into the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into the game

Hey guys, just needed some opinions. I used to have quite a couple of planted nano tanks a couple years ago, I've been wanting to get another one. I've been thinking about getting the MrAqua 12 Looong. What do you think about this tank for it being rimless and with no top? I was thinking of stocking it with some celestial pearl danios, and some cherry shrimp. Nothing to special, will the shrimp do fine in a tank without a top? Will the fish jump out? what's the best light fixture for this setup? Substrate? Thanks!!
    20Long
    8Ebi

I want something similar to this, I just don't want to have to mess with co2
    Attached Files
    20Long
    8Ebi

Comment

Rimless setups are awesome. Tops or no tops, fish won't jump out unless they have a reason to (i.e. bad water conditions). Shrimp on the other hand sometimes just jumps out of water for no reason, but I haven't experienced this with my neo shrimps (ask mnemenoi/Roy about his cherry shrimp lmao).

Comment

No CO2 is fine for a low tech setup, but IMO the beautiful colors plants can truly give while being in optimal conditions is amazing. Optimal being with CO2 and proper ferts being dosed.

Comment

What type of substrate is good now a days?
          20Long
          8Ebi

Comment

I love my 12 long, but rimless tanks are such a hassle. Evaporation takes a toll on you over time.

As far as lighting, I recommend hanging whatever you use above the tank, as opposed to something resting above the water

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
              I love my 12 long, but rimless tanks are such a hassle. Evaporation takes a toll on you over time.

As far as lighting, I recommend hanging whatever you use above the tank, as opposed to something resting above the water
              Do you have a picture of your setup?
              20Long
              8Ebi

Comment

The only pic I have right now. This was before equipment and fish, as well as before I wrecked it with plants lol I'll get another pic later today so you can see my mess
                Attached Files

Comment

The only pic I have right now. This was before equipment and fish, as well as before I wrecked it with plants lol I'll get another pic later today so you can see my mess
                  What substrate do you recommend for plants? What'd you use?
                  20Long
                  8Ebi

Comment

I didn't plan ahead well.. I used aragonite lol

If I could go back I would use PFS, but I don't keep anything plant-wise that's too tricky

Comment

There's so many different substrates you could use for planted tanks. Most low tech plants aren't too picky with substrate. It's when you get into high tech/lighting and more rare and expensive plants that you'll have to worry about substrates. I'm too lazy to list out all the substrates you can use, but here's a recent thread with a good number of substrates listed out by Roy.

http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforums/showthread.php?66873-Need-suggestions-advices-on-planted-tank-setup

Comment

+1 but there's ways around it. Get an ATO (auto top off) system to help with evaporation. Definitely hang the lights vs sitting on the tank. IMO lights sitting on a rimless tank takes away from the whole appeal.

Comment

Do you still have that driftwood you were selling?
                          if so shoot me a text 8323820642
                          20Long
                          8Ebi

Comment

There are a ton of options for substrates. Really depends on color, grain size and stonework or Ph altering affect you desire. carpeting is difficult to insanely hard in low tech systems. Less is really more with lighting this. A single T5 would be awesome, but likely never find one that would be that thin. Probably have to go LED, maybe a Ray (not a 2 or planted, they are potent and really need injected CO2) or a weaker Beamswork fixture. CPD's will eat shrimplets and even occasionally attack adults. They are notorious for not doing well with most dwarf shrimp except Amanos and Fans. I've never had any jump in my experience though. CPD's and neos both love our tap, so any of the Flourites or Eco-Completes should work fine with either.
                            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                              There are a ton of options for substrates. Really depends on color, grain size and stonework or Ph altering affect you desire. carpeting is difficult to insanely hard in low tech systems. Less is really more with lighting this. A single T5 would be awesome, but likely never find one that would be that thin. Probably have to go LED, maybe a Ray (not a 2 or planted, they are potent and really need injected CO2) or a weaker Beamswork fixture. CPD's will eat shrimplets and even occasionally attack adults. They are notorious for not doing well with most dwarf shrimp except Amanos and Fans. I've never had any jump in my experience though. CPD's and neos both love our tap, so any of the Flourites or Eco-Completes should work fine with either.
                              Thanks for all the info!! I'll just have to make a separate tank for my CPS's because I really want some they're my fave. Do you know of homeless aquatics is still in the business I remember I bought mine from him
                              20Long
                              8Ebi

Comment

Working...
                              X