Glass Panel replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Panel replacement

I received a 210g 7x2x2 oceanic tank with a crack back panel glass.
    Is it worth to spend money to have this panel replaced? and how much should I look at to replace it?Who can do it?
    Thanks for your inputs.

I have repaired tanks by patching a cracked glass. I have also replaced whole panels but not on a tank that large. You can buy a piece of glass that will cover the cracked area and maybe 3 to 6 inches each side of the crack. Then silicone the glass in place. This can work but I don't know how it would work on a 7 foot tank.

I may be wrong about this but here is my theory. A tank can crack if the support is uneven. The glass does not crack because of the weight of the water on the glass panel itself. There is not that much pressure on the vertical surfaces of the tank. There is more weight on the bottom of the tank. If the stand is a little uneven that twists the bottom glass and that puts stress on the vertical glass and a crack can occur because the vertical glass has very little flex ability. So, if the crack is patched and the tank is set up on a good even surface you should be ok. But this is just a theory!

I don't know anybody who can do the replacement glass professionally. Seems like there should be someone in the Houston area.

Comment

New or used? I am presuming used for a few factors.

Tank used = $210 In my opinion. Oceanics are great tank and will last longer than tanks built today in most cases.

I think there is a company in North Houston who will re-seal tanks but I do not know how much they charge. They were posting about drilling tanks, but I think they can re-seal as well.

If the re-seal job can be done correctly and the price isnt bad, I say go for it. if it is 75% the cost of the tank. Id get a new tank.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Ken,
        You are conceptually correct about the cause of this crack. Movers put the tank on uneven surface and the crack starts running from the bottom to the top on the back panel.

Barrets,
        This is an old tank, but all panels are still in good and clean condition, RR too. It is right about that aquarium price, I was thinking the same. If it costs too much to replace, I would rather sell this setup to someone who keeps reptile and does not need to fill this tank with water.
        Still want to hear from people that have replaced glass panel before.

Comment

Originally posted by specialone0812 View Post
          Ken,
          You are conceptually correct about the cause of this crack. Movers put the tank on uneven surface and the crack starts running from the bottom to the top on the back panel.

Barrets,
          This is an old tank, but all panels are still in good and clean condition, RR too. It is right about that aquarium price, I was thinking the same. If it costs too much to replace, I would rather sell this setup to someone who keeps reptile and does not need to fill this tank with water.
          Still want to hear from people that have replaced glass panel before.
          Hey no problem, I know there is a company in Houston who can do it. I just cant find there name at the moment. If i do find it I will send it your way.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Found this. Its a maybe.
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I had a pet shop back in the 90's and I used to buy tanks from a company in Houston. This was a small company and they built the tanks themselves. It was cool going into the work area and seeing tank building in process. They did very nice work. I wish I could remember the name.

Comment

It sucks hiring uninsured movers.

Comment

I had to replace a glass pan r l on my 125. I took it to Fish and Pets on Bissonnet. They will send it out to be replaced. Good job.

Comment

You should probably have to reseal a whole tank IMO. 210 is a lot of water to be leaked. yike!
                    010G Long fin BN grow-out
                    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                    020G Leulepi grow-out
                    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                    030G Leulepi breeder
                    030G SRD FlowerHorn
                    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                    090G Tangs community
                    100G Tangs community
                    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

i worry more about busting than leaking.

Comment

Yes, I was being polite bro! My worst nightmare.
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community

Comment

Glass Panel replacement

Originally posted by specialone0812 View Post
                          I received a 210g 7x2x2 oceanic tank with a crack back panel glass.
                          Is it worth to spend money to have this panel replaced? and how much should I look at to replace it?Who can do it?
                          Thanks for your inputs.
                          Tony,
                          For some reason I never feel good about the tank being reconstructed and may cost a bit of money too. My option is to sell the tank to someone whose could use for something else and get you another used or new tank .
                          Tropheus Moorii Golden Kazumba
                          Petrochromis Red Mahale

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnynguyen4917 View Post
                            Tony,
                            For some reason I never feel good about the tank being reconstructed and may cost a bit of money too. My option is to sell the tank to someone whose could use for something else and get you another used or new tank .
                            +1 Toni. Buy a new tank bro. You can sleep better at night lol.
                            020G Leulepi grow-out
                            030G Leulepi breeder
                            030G SRD FlowerHorn
                            090G Tangs community
                            100G Tangs community

Comment

Ok OK, new tank then. IF anyone needs this tank for reptile or turtles, please pm for price. (cheap)

Comment

Working...
                              X