Today's aquarium project...hang new LED's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's aquarium project...hang new LED's

Bought some LED's to give a try and decided that I didn't want to put any hole in the ceiling or walls because I may either get bigger tank later and put it in another room and don't want to patch the holes. Given that I searched on line for affordable ways to hang them but even though I found some neat gadgets, there was no way I was getting them today and since the LED's have been here since Wednesday, waiting wasn't an option so off to the garage to see what I could come up with. I think it turned out ok but now I need another light because my tank is 5'x2' and when they say they cover a 2'x2' area, they were not kidding. Here are a few pics of today's project

Had some 1" square tubing and a piece of 1 ish" scrap metal laying around so cut some to the size I was looking for.

I welded it up and made some mounting brackets that bolt to the back of my stand.

Welded it all together and coated it with spray on truck liner.

The before pic

After pic (the expensive one proving that I need another light)

I like the way the LED's make the tank look. Thinking of tanks I've done with regular Florescent, VHO, T-5's and MH, I think these and the MH are my favorites. Like the shimmer and less heat with the LED's. They are currently running at about 65-70% right now.

Will be interesting to see if the tank temp drops due to not having the T-5's and a canopy.

Very cool project...I would rather go that route than put holes in my ceiling any day...Thanks for sharing...

Comment

U take the lenses off you will get the spread u need for middle

Comment

Nice transformation on the lighting!
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Looks like what I just finished. Looks good.
          300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

Originally posted by matias View Post
            U take the lenses off you will get the spread u need for middle
            But less PAR over all. The lenses amplify the light penetration through the water column.

I would supplement the new LED system with some T5's

Comment

what brand of leds are those?

Comment

sorry, just saw this. they are black box LED's from ebay

Comment

This is a good project! Right after we finished installing the fender flares on the truck, will work on the tank with this kind of lighting.

Comment

Working...
                  X