No announcement yet.

Would This Badly Obstruct Filter Flow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would This Badly Obstruct Filter Flow?

I want a Hydor inline heater. They install in the filter hose.
    Problem- The biggest size they have is 5/8", and my hoses are 1".
    If I rigged it in there, do you think it would slow the flow significantly?
    I'm over-filtered so I can take a minor hit to the gph, but I don't wanna go crazy.

1" is a big hose. What kind of filter do you have?

Anyway, I don't think it would hinder your flow significantly.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

It's will hinder water flow. Your reducing the amount of water that can flow by almost half. You will also build up pressure that can eventually cause a failure.

Also are you referencing the od or id of your hose. There is a difference. The only filter that would come close a 1" would be an fx5 or fx6 but there id is about 3/4".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

The filter is by Oddysea. The hoses are barely a mm thick, so ID and OD are virtually the same.
        You think I'm nutz, don't you.
        I can take a picture, but then you'll just go, "Ohhhh. Right. He's right.".

Comment

Don't think your nuts but if hoses are as thin as you say I wouldn't give them room to risk rupturing by increasing pressure by reducing down the diameter water can flow. No would I create pressure on that type of filter. There cheap for a reason.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by barrettsline View Post
            It's will hinder water flow. Your reducing the amount of water that can flow by almost half. You will also build up pressure that can eventually cause a failure.

Also are you referencing the od or id of your hose. There is a difference. The only filter that would come close a 1" would be an fx5 or fx6 but there id is about 3/4".

Just hook it up and find out bro.
            010G Long fin BN grow-out
            020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            040G Hongi Sweden breeder
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community
            150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Oh I'll be replacing those ugly hoses with clear hoses, lily pipe, etc,... anyway.
              And I would just hook it up and see what happens, but I don't have the heater yet. I thought I'd pick the communal brain in here for advice before I ordered it.
              I suppose I could just ask somebody at Oddysea.

Comment

Don't think your nuts but if hoses are as thin as you say I wouldn't give them room to risk rupturing by increasing pressure by reducing down the diameter water can flow. No would I create pressure on that type of filter. There cheap for a reason.

No joke they're cheap for a reason! Holy crap!
                Straight out of the box, one hose had a pinhole leak, the O-rings leaked, and the pump ran for two hours before it burned to a crisp.
                They sent me a new pump and I fixed the rest myself.
                Then one of the valves just fell apart.
                They sent me a new valve though. Great customer service, but if one more thing fails I'm getting an Eheim.
                Then I bought a $100 under-gravel heater. I plumbed it thru the glass and sealed it in, layed down the substrate, cycled the tank, planted many plants, and bought 4 oscars.
                The thermostat for it finally came today.
                I plugged it in and it doesn't work.
                This is getting a bit frustrating.

Comment

Time to stop saving money, and invest in equipment that will last bro. If I have learned nothing from the years I've been in this hobby, it is that cheap doesn't cut it for 90% your fishes needs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Why did you want the undergravel instead of just having a heater in the tank? Looks? What size tank?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I would consider these as possible options in the future.

Or use one of these to hide the heater.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Well first of all, that heater was at least $100. And I usually don't buy cheap stuff, but it was during the holidays, things were tight and that filter had pretty decent reviews.
                        It's for a 60G frameless cube. I want the look of this tank to be ultra clean and neat. No hoses, tubes, or wires anywhere. I even plumbed two airlines and line for CO2.
                        I want it to look like a cube of lake bottom was just beamed onto my end table.
                        I'm doing everything exactly right, but these mechanical failures are killin' me.
                        I wonder if I can figure out how to post a pic,....

Comment

Would This Badly Obstruct Filter Flow?

Bro, I meant no offense on the cheap equipment comment.

I like where your going with the tank. Trying to get a better idea of it so yeah a pic would be great. I believe if my memory is working(normally isn't), but traci has an article in one of the tabs at the top of the website that lists step by step how to post pics. Or you can pm me a number to text and I'll post them for you.

I'd get my hands on a 2217 since I know hydor will work on those all day long.

So the new part for the heater didn't work? That's sucks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I would consider these as possible options in the future.

Or use one of these to hide the heater.

How does that hide a heater? Can you bury it in the substrate or something? Wait, that won't work. There would still be the cord going up and down the back.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yeah no, for what you want to do scratch that idea.

Dang that looks nice. Ok, so how many holes are in the bottom? Are you going to have holes for the filter? You have sand on top of an undergravel? Or is the sand on top of the heater?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                              X