No announcement yet.

WHY Can't I Get My Water Crystal Clear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY Can't I Get My Water Crystal Clear?

I wouldn't quite say it's cloudy, but it's close.
    I work so hard on it it should look like my fish are floating in air, but I can still see gazillions of tiny particles (mulm?) floating around giving the water a slight irritating haze.
    I vacuum the gravel as often as I can (whenever there are no eggs to disturb).
    I have had a huge bag of Purigen in the filter for a week with no change at all.
    I do 50% water changes every Friday. I actually skipped last Friday though. I tested the water with a quality liquid test kit and it was absolutely pristine, so I was like, gimme a break, this water does not need to be changed.
    I even tried a powerful oxidizing agent used to purify water for drinking.
    Nothing.
    I just dosed it with Chemiclean, but I forgot to take out the carbon. Idiot. I guess I'll do a water change and try that again tomorrow.
    It's a 55g with 11 angelfish and some bottom cleaners. I know, that's a bit crowded, but it has enough filtration for a 150g tank. It even has two bio-wheels, which are usually great for getting water crystal clear.
    I have googled my nutz off and I just don't know what else to do.
    Any thoughts?
    P.S. Don't worry about the overcrowded angels. 5 or 6 are on the way out in about two weeks.

2 words.......Filter Floss. Btw.....what kind of filters are you using ?

Comment

Use a micron filter (like a Magnum HOT) it will have it polished to crystal clear in no time
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Post a picture, they tend to say a thousand words.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
        Mpimbwe Karema
        WC Zaire Blue Moba M'Toto
        Red Festae

Comment

Also how old is the setup?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
          Mpimbwe Karema
          WC Zaire Blue Moba M'Toto
          Red Festae

Comment

Originally posted by supadave View Post
            2 words.......Filter Floss. Btw.....what kind of filters are you using ?
            +1 on filter floss.
            010G Long fin BN grow-out
            020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            040G Hongi Sweden breeder
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community
            150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

+2 floss.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

+3 floss

Comment

Just cut 2/3 of 16oz bottle water and add some floss ( can buy at Walmart ) get one Maxi Jet Pump and put them together. It will clean all tiny particles of your tank in a day . That just make your water look clean and clear but not make your water crystal. If you want you water crystal clear just add some carbon in your filter it will take care the water for you.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! :)
                    I forgot ALL about the magic of floss! I ran out about a year ago. Instead of getting more I bought a roll of that blue & white layered floss-LIKE padding. And THAT, fish tank friends, was about the last time I saw crystal clear water!
                    I'm tempted to rip open a pillow right now.
                    The micron sock is a good idea, but I don't know how to put one on a hanging filter.
                    I have a penguin 350 hanging filter with a dbl. Bio wheel, and another like it from another brand I can never remember. I just put 4 new cartridges in 2-3 days ago, with fresh carbon.
                    Good question Joe Reborn. It's a heavily planted tank that has been running for about 4yrs now. I understand that's unusual for a planted tank but it's still going strong.
                    I'll have to charge my camera tonight to post a photo, if anybody's still curious, but I'm pretty sure floss is the answer. That and maybe trim out damaged leaves a little more diligently.
                    Thanks again everbody!
                    I'm going to find an old pillow now and tear into it like a monkey on a cupcake.

Comment

With filter floss however, it will clog up pretty fast so you have to clean your filter more often.
                      020G Leulepi grow-out
                      030G Leulepi breeder
                      030G SRD FlowerHorn
                      090G Tangs community
                      100G Tangs community

Comment

Thanks ptran.
                        But that's the point, isn't it. If it's going to clog quickly then I have too much gunk in my water.
                        Besides, when I use floss specifically for a quick polishing, I remove all other media and just cram floss in as tightly as I can without causing bypass. It will be all done and ready to come out in 12 - 24hrs.
                        Then I put the standard media back in & Bob's yur uncle. :)
                        How did I forget about that?!
                        I'll tell ya, it takes a village to raise a fish tank.

Comment

Originally posted by hydra View Post
                          I wouldn't quite say it's cloudy, but it's close.
                          I work so hard on it it should look like my fish are floating in air, but I can still see gazillions of tiny particles (mulm?) floating around giving the water a slight irritating haze.
                          I vacuum the gravel as often as I can (whenever there are no eggs to disturb).
                          I have had a huge bag of Purigen in the filter for a week with no change at all.
                          I do 50% water changes every Friday. I actually skipped last Friday though. I tested the water with a quality liquid test kit and it was absolutely pristine, so I was like, gimme a break, this water does not need to be changed.
                          I even tried a powerful oxidizing agent used to purify water for drinking.
                          Nothing.
                          I just dosed it with Chemiclean, but I forgot to take out the carbon. Idiot. I guess I'll do a water change and try that again tomorrow.
                          It's a 55g with 11 angelfish and some bottom cleaners. I know, that's a bit crowded, but it has enough filtration for a 150g tank. It even has two bio-wheels, which are usually great for getting water crystal clear.
                          I have googled my nutz off and I just don't know what else to do.
                          Any thoughts?
                          P.S. Don't worry about the overcrowded angels. 5 or 6 are on the way out in about two weeks.
                          What kind of filtration do you have?

Well I think you are doing everything right to keep the water clean. Maybe just add a few inches of filter floss into your filter and you are golden.

You need to keep your bio media in the filter and add the floss to polish the water only. I don't think it is a good idea to remove everything out and stuff your canister with just filter floss. Maybe your water will clear up in a day, but then next week it will be cloudy with floating debris again.
                          020G Leulepi grow-out
                          030G Leulepi breeder
                          030G SRD FlowerHorn
                          090G Tangs community
                          100G Tangs community

Comment

Mission accomplished!
                            Water clarity at maximun.
                            Thanks everybody!:)

Comment

Cool man. Post a picture of your tank if possible?
                              020G Leulepi grow-out
                              030G Leulepi breeder
                              030G SRD FlowerHorn
                              090G Tangs community
                              100G Tangs community

Comment

Working...
                              X