Toxic gas under the sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic gas under the sand

First time seeing this in the tank what should i do do i need to put anything in the tank befpre i release it

Can you give some back ground on the tank: size, filtration, what fish in it? picture is good.

Are you talking about patches of discolor sand where the gas is trap? Is it everywhere or just couple spot? If it is just 1 or 2 spot in a big tank, I would just stir the sand to release the gas. Do a water change after that to be safe.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

75 gallon mbuna tank 1 eheim 2217 and 1 aqueon 55/75 hob the sand is pretty thick in the area its in i can see air pockets next to the glass so i have to assume that they extend to the center of the tank in that area also ill post a pic

Comment

I also have a aqueon 1250 circulation pump

Comment

Comment

I don't think it is a problem. I get this once in a while especially under a big rock where sand got compressed. The sand will turn black if you don't do anything to it. That is when it is toxic.

Remove the rock so you can stir up the sand thoroughly throughout the tank when doing water change. Mbuna is tough. They will be okay. I'm surprised they don't dig pits in your tank. In the process, they stir up the sand too.

To remedy this gas trap problem:
            1. Add some sand sifter like clown Loaches or cory cat. They help turn the sand.
            2. Reduce the sand bed thickness.
            3. Turn the sand yourself while doing water change. This can be done by sticking the water hose into the sand while refilling the tank.
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community

Comment

Well that is a close up pic of where the gas is as far as them digging pits they do just not in that area for some reason everywhere else they do its strange
              That is pool filter sand that i got just so i could get the tank started i plan to replace it with the salt and pepper cichlid sand and black rock

Comment

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Comment

How thick is the sand in the pic? You have no guarantee that what you are seeing is poisonous gas unless you release it. Also simply releasing it if it deadly and doing a water change will not stop the toxic and deadly properties from entering the water. To protect your fish I would remove them from the tank, completely drain the tank and remove all but 1" of sand through out the tank. Releasing anaerobic bacteria through out your tank can and will wipe out your tank just by the bubble popping at the surface. Filtration alone will not keep the bacteria from growing. The bacteria is allowed to grow when food or waste is allowed to decompose underneath the sand and light cannot penetrate the sand to allow the decomp process to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Comment

Yeah you have way to much sand.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Nah you will be fine. I think those are just algae growing where the leftover food penetrate the sand. You can take precaution and remove the fish, but don't think it is necessary.

However, I would thin down the sand if you don't want that unsightly look on the perimeter.
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community

Comment

So what is the maximum amount of sand i should have in this tank i like the look off thicker sand plus it gives them mode sand to dig in but i dont want it to be harful to the fish either this is my first cichlid tank and im still learning but they seam to be happy ive already had several batches of fry from several fish in here

Comment

These are my 2 10 gallon fry tanks

Comment

1"-1 1/2"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                              X