New 670g Discus Extravaganza!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 670g Discus Extravaganza!

Hello everyone... I just had a used 670g delivered and installed yesterday. Am alternately thinking "wow, that's cool" and "holy cow, what was I thinking"! It was too good a deal to pass up, but one could certainly argue that it is ridiculously oversized. Well, it's here now, so let the fun begin.

First, my goals:

1. The focus of the tank would be 6-8 fish from 3-4 types of discus. Total discus population of about 30.
    2. I will be careful in scaping, probably a 90% hard scape with perhaps a few live plants so as I can minimize maintenance as much as reasonably possible.
    3. I would also like to have various rainbows, tetras, Rams, archer fish, loaches, etc.
    4. I have no idea on the types of discus, but I would probably avoid wild-caught fish to accommodate my water qualities (is that reasonable?).

Equipment:

- 2 x Eheim 2262s
    - 1 x wet/dry (approx 70g) in which I hope to add Miracle Mud and light to have a FW refugium section
    - All filtration is through the tank bottom, so will probably end up adding one or more power heads.
    - The tank came with one inline heater that I will supplement with more heater capacity in the refugium.
    - LED lighting (still in the works, but I'm not going for a heavily planted tank, mostly just hard scape and plastic plants)... Perhaps some live plants on the end closest to the living room window.
    Everything is plumbed and prep cleaning for scaping starts today

Questions:

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on water chemistry, as I do NOT intend to fight ~8.0 pH, 11 dKHof my tap water here in Sugar Land. No RO, no peat, no chemicals, etc. Perhaps that approach in itself will preclude a good, healthy discus-oriented tank. What do you think? I do understand breeding discus is something else altogether and successful breeding would probably not occur in this tank.

Another area where I could use some experienced and knowledgeable input has to do with tank mates. I really like Rams and rainbows -- have seen a number of videos of people keeping smallish cichlids, electric blue Jack Dempseys (??), etc. I would like to have something more than discus and tetras! The forum has a number of threads on this topic, but I'm wondering if tank size could influence fish selections a bit.

Any and all responses would be appreciated. This is by far the largest aquarium project I have undertaken. I will document the project and if there is any interest, will share photos and insights on future posts. If discus aren't good with this setup and approach, my fallback plan is a large community tank like the main display at Fish Gallery which I think is incredible. What say you, my fellow fish lovers?
    Attached Files
    75G Planted (Candy Cane Tetras, 2x Queen Loaches, 5 x Otos)
    670G Community (WBSDs, Geo. Sur., Bio. Cupidos, Clown Loaches, GBRs, GN Pleco, Pink Tail Chal., Monos, Balas)

What a monster of a setup, you're a lucky man Paullie. I can't offer any advice on stocking, but do keep the updates coming so we can live vicariously through your big *** tank

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

baller setup. congratulations on getting that setup from ADG.
      if one of the side was 30", it would have been in my house.
      280g:peacocks
      210g : haps
      12g : shellies
      (4) 55g:breeding tanks

Comment

Originally posted by beto View Post
        baller setup. congratulations on getting that setup from ADG.
        if one of the side was 30", it would have been in my house.
        Need bigger house bro!
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie52 View Post
          Any and all responses would be appreciated. This is by far the largest aquarium project I have undertaken. I will document the project and if there is any interest, will share photos and insights on future posts. If discus aren't good with this setup and approach, my fallback plan is a large community tank like the main display at Fish Gallery which I think is incredible. What say you, my fellow fish lovers?
          Congrats on the monstrous tank!
          Discus tank sounds very nice. I understand Discus requires soft water. Very delicate specie. I've heard they require water change 2 times a week to keep them happy.

I like community idea better. Go Tanganyika
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community

Comment

Thanks, Beto... It was quite a production to disassemble the front door. ADG sent over the cabinet maker and he did an excellent job on that. That said, I better not move anytime soon. Now if I can figure out why my iPad pics are appearing upside down, I would be in business!
            Attached Files
            670G Community (WBSDs, Geo. Sur., Bio. Cupidos, Clown Loaches, GBRs, GN Pleco, Pink Tail Chal., Monos, Balas)

Comment

Thanks, Ptran... I will count that as one vote for community tank rather than discus. Might have to make a run down to Fish Gallery to look at their display again...

Comment

No rush on getting the picture problem fixed, I'm enjoying doing handstands to view the photos.

Make that 2 votes for a community tank.. Can't go wrong with Tanganyika!

Comment

Austy, another vote for community noted! That might also take care of ghost shrimp populations in my planted tank...

Comment

Need new thread on the vote?
                    020G Leulepi grow-out
                    030G Leulepi breeder
                    030G SRD FlowerHorn
                    090G Tangs community
                    100G Tangs community

Comment

Sure would!

Ah, the possibilities are nearly endless. You might even be able to get away with keeping some emperors for a while..

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                        Need new thread on the vote?
                        You already know Tangs will take the cake!

Comment

For the Archers, the Clouded Archer is actually freshwater and would do wonderfully in larger community tanks like this
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

The tank looks great. I like the Discus. or a fly river turtle.
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Wow that awesome tank , I never thought that tank can go through single door!!!
                              My vote goes to Tangs as well.
                              Tropheus Moorii Golden Kazumba
                              Petrochromis Red Mahale

Comment

Working...
                              X