X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Annual Native Collection Trip

Where - 6923 Brushmeade Ln, Katy, TX 77449
    When - Saturday, March 21st at Noon till 7:00pm

Its that time of the year again and David Abeles will be hosting the March GHAC meeting, entailing local collecting of fish and fauna. It will start earlier in the day (likely around noon) and we will be leading whoever wishes to come along through a variety of local streams and creeks, collecting and discussing the local creatures we can find. All ages are welcome and the last few years we had quite a handful of young aquarists lending a hand and showing us older folks how catching fish was done. I will be posting up more details as the time approaches, but anyone interested in keeping some of their finds should consider starting to cycle those tanks for the ready when they return triumphantly with those Sailfin Mollies, Golden Killifish, or ostentatious Pirate Perch... I definitely want to do a bit more when it comes to photographing species and plant collections. A freshwater fishing license is required for anyone older then 18 (I think, maybe 17?), but you can buy a one day pass at Wal-Mart, Academy and almost any Outdoor type store. We will start at David's house and return afterwards for the meeting and David has offered his house to grill and relax. Most of the collecting will be nearby, so this will be my first venture into the West Side and what species it might have to offer. I have a solid collection of Nets, Buckets, and whatnot, but definitely bring any extras and equipment you/others might need. We will be teaming up with Angelino Altieri and James Halbirt with Texas Aquatics as with all the local clubs that want to come out and enjoy a day in the outdoors!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Roy, any idea what fish can be collected? Do I need fishing licence for this activity? Thanks.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I'm looking forward to it! Yes, you need a license.
      ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something
      fishy going on here, and I kinda like it!

Comment

Yes, a license will be needed for anyone over 17-18 (not sure on the rules there, best to consult Texas Fish and wildlife page), but there is a one day pass that is sold and will cover you for whatever day you get it for. They are available at Academy, Wal-Mart, and most outdoor type places like that. As for species.

Thought I might touch on some ideas for setting up smaller nano native tanks in case anyone might be interested to cycle one prior to collecting. I'll try and touch on some smaller species (suitable to 20 gallons and less) we might encounter

Pirate Perch (Aphredoderus sayanus ) a real oddball and only member of its family. Not growing larger then 4" it prefers densely planted tanks and will take anything that can fit in its mouth. Dark couloured bass like fish with iridescent gill plates.

Banded Pygmy Perch - Very small crepuscular species perfectly suited to a planted nano tank. Can be hard to feed, but has been known to accept bloodworms. Very small fish (1.5") that can be a bit shy, but displays a wonderful social dynamic when used in small groups. A very good choice for a native to begin with.

Sailfin Molly - These are natives, but the males and females are spectacularly stunning and in a 30 gallon would be a great choice. These can be caught in FW and brackish areas and I would stick with the water at whatever location they are found at.

Darters - A small goby like perciform that prefers a sand covered bottom tank and strong current. Have a tendency to sand dive and emerge to feed once the threat is gone. Acclimate well to aquarium life and do well in a 20 gallon long with a few native shiners for a dither.

Golden Killiefish - Terrific and probably the best looking local killie. Can grow to 3-3.5", but do well in groups, can be a bit nippy with other tankmates. They really color up in a planted tank and can be a real surprise when seen in full breeding colors. Another great choice and introduction to killifish.

Blackstripe killifish - A larger killifish (3.5-4") that appreciate the top stratum in the tank. Imagine a large one lined pencilfish and you are nearly there. Can be quite comical, especially with other natives. They adapt best when young and seem to accept the aquarium life with far better success.

Ghost Shrimp - Can be fun in their own right, but could be added to all the above mentioned tanks with the fish and should do well, especially in a planted tank where they exhibit flecked coloration and really shine.

Bullheads (black or yellow) can grow large (8-10") and get quite an appetite. Terrific looking fish when younger and darken with age. Not the best choice for adding to a native tank, but are very great on their own in a larger system.

Tadpole Madtom - a pygmy relative of the bullheads that has a caudal, anal, and adipose fin that are connected and appear to join. They would be a great addition to any of the above mentioned tanks.

Dwarf Livebearers - The smallest livebearing fish and can be found near here, but sadly I have never found any this far west. They are a beautiful little fish that are the best livebearer for nano tanks I can imagine. Quite the sought after species in Europe.

Crawfish - There are a few different species and a small tank would suit one. Could be a fun micro predator tank with little difficult care needed.

A little bit about tanks for natives - No heater required, they would do well even in an unheated garage. Any sand or gravel will do perfectly. Native plants are free to collect and attempt in this sort of tank. Any rock or wood is accepted by them all. Filtration is based on your tank size and bioload. Lighting is your preference, but planted tanks would require acceptable lighting. Water conditions for us are perfect where they are, they will thrive in them and once accustomed can start taking flake/pellets/frozen. You can mix/match different species and try them out. I think many would enjoy a native tank and what wonder the fish found in our own ditches can bring when seen in a different light.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

This is likely the best spot online EVER for seeing locally collected and photographed fish in the Houston Area from a great guy Dan Johnson. He posts sizes and collection site information. Dan's work with Crayfish is amazing and he has a few he personally found, Very awesome indeed. I want to personally thank him for all the hard work and time that went into this site, it is certainly appreciated!
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Cool. Thanks Roy.
            010G Long fin BN grow-out
            020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            040G Hongi Sweden breeder
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community
            150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

No sweat, anytime. I love the collection trip, we always catch fun weird stuff and its always an adventure
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

If you look back in the GHAC header you can see the original and 2nd annual ones and there are picture albums at the end Nick took
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Gonna miss these collection trips... Unless y'all do a field trip to the Rockies
                  http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

OMG, that sounds awesome. I'm all onboard! How are you doing these days? Did you see your mention last GHAC newsletter?...
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Yes sir, very humbled by that.

Settling in and getting used to the altitude still and just started to set up my fish room.

Comment

No sweat, not sure how much advertising it is in Huston, but anything we can do to help out! Need some pics up for those tanks!
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

Hahaha, nothing fancy yet. Just three 40Bs on racks and a 55. All used tanks and gear. Ironically, I bought the 40s from a fish store liquidation...

Comment

Looking good thus far! Now to just get em all stocked and scaped out....
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                              Hahaha, nothing fancy yet. Just three 40Bs on racks and a 55. All used tanks and gear. Ironically, I bought the 40s from a fish store liquidation...
                              haha your "nothing fancy yet", even though three are not running yet, already eclipse all the tanks in my house (total gallons) :)

whats in the 55? will look pretty sweet once allis up and running, but i agree, nice start

Comment

Working...
                              X