Geophagus Breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morpheus

You might think about taking the limestone out of the tank also. Looks like your ph is still ok for south americans at 7.5 but limestone will push the ph higher and make the water harder(more dissolved solids). That is great for africans but not so much for geos.

Comment

thanks ken

i am changing over the tank slowly. driftwood will be next, along with re-homing the brasilensis and one of the male suris. maybe add another female or two for him to pick from.

i keep the limestone in there because some ways back my pH just crashed. was not even registering on a pH scale, so it was below 6.0 even with water changes that were adding in 8.0 from the tap. i couldnt keep it stabilized, and once i added in the limestone, it is now staying in a normal range.

i will be trying a variety of things, and i dont rule out removing the limestone, but i personally dont like to chase "ideal" pH ranges. in the past, my fish tend to breed when the params are stable and constant even if not ideal for that species. the fish were probably born and bred down here, so should be used to harder and slightly higher pH from houston tap.
      Last edited by morpheus; 02-13-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Morph, I would take the Brasiliensis back but I am trying to sale almost everything I have now. I can't take it all with me.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          ...so it was below 6.0 even with water changes that were adding in 8.0 from the tap.
          Hmm, I'm just wondering why?
          010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
            Morph, I would take the Brasiliensis back but I am trying to sale almost everything I have now. I can't take it all with me.
            its no problem troy. they have done really well since i got them from you, but i am sure i will find a good trade partner when the time comes

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
              Hmm, I'm just wondering why?
              i never really figured out why. there is a thread on here about it somewhere.

something was drastically dropping my water hardness. out of the tap the KH was like 6-7 or something, then in my tank it was 0. so the limestone was added to keep the water harder and i have been fine without any swings for a while.

Comment

I agree. This is a mystery! But if the fish are doing well, then that is the important thing.

Comment

Working...
                X