135 Gallon Oceanic Tropheus Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 135 Gallon Oceanic Tropheus Build

I purchased this aquarium last weekend about 45 miles from my house. no big issue right? Well that was also when the arctic blast from Canada made it to Texas, so it was cold and raining. Fun times.....

This is how it sits as of last night. I'm not sold 100% on my scape, but it will do for now.

So lets break it all down.
    • 135 Gallon Oceanic Aquarium 72"18"x24"
    • Back of the aquarium has been painted flat black.
    • 135 Gallon Oceanic Stand 72"x18"x26"
    • 80 lbs of PFS
    • 180 lbs of lime stone chunk rock with some holes in a few pieces
    • 300W Jager heater
    • 2 - Eheim 2215's
    • Maxi Jet Power Head (150 GPH)
    • EVO
    • 72" LED Aquarium Light

What's going to change or be added?
    • I will be picking up an Eheim 2260 to replace both 2215's.
    • I may be redesigning the intake and outlet of the eheim by using black or dark grey PVC. I don't put anything painted in my tanks. just my personal preference.
    • I purchased a mag 9.5 and wet/dry from a friend last night.
    • To accommodate the flow rate of the mag 9.5, I will be purchasing a Eshopps PF-1000 external overflow box, and hopefully have it completely plumbed in by the end of the weekend.
    • Move the heater into the wet/dry.
    • I will be adding two Hydor Koralia 1150 powerheads around Tuesday of next week. (One on each end of the aquarium)
    • I have requested a quote from a local canopy and stand builder on building a canopy to match the stand.
    • I will be replacing my power strip with a new 10 outlet surge protector.
    • I hope to add between 6-10 Clown Loaches sometime next week.

So there it is for now. Please let me know what you think. I will get my better camera out this weekend to take better pictures.

Also I have a few questions:

1. What type of plecostomus will work for my tank and not distract or hinder my tropheus? I am thinking BN Pleco's since I have kept them with africans in the past and haven't had any issues.
    2. Should I add 2-3 catfish and if so what type can i add that won't mess with the tropheus or hinder breeding?

Thanks for reading and any input given.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

coming along nicely.
    removing the green intakes and returns will definetly clean it up
    a new toy is always fun
    280g:peacocks
    210g : haps
    12g : shellies
    (4) 55g:breeding tanks

Comment

Tank looking good. Everything sounds good! I thought you were coming back with some rare Cyphos.
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Looking sweet, so far so good. I would stick with Bristlenoses, unless you plan on using algae as main food source for your trophs. I would avoid catfish altogether, as they're notorious for stealing spawns and laying their own eggs, so you're more likely to end up with a tropheus full of catfish offspring

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Originally posted by beto View Post
          coming along nicely.
          removing the green intakes and returns will definetly clean it up
          a new toy is always fun
          Thanks man. I agree on removing the green. Ill probably spend a decent amount of time a lowes/home depot building everything out.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
            Tank looking good. Everything sounds good! I thought you were coming back with some rare Cyphos.
            I took a lot for me to go a different route and not do cyphos. I still may do them in the future but for now, I had to pass. They still hold a special place in my heart of aquariums and fish keeping though.
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
              Looking sweet, so far so good. I would stick with Bristlenoses, unless you plan on using algae as main food source for your trophs. I would avoid catfish altogether, as they're notorious for stealing spawns and laying their own eggs, so you're more likely to end up with a tropheus full of catfish offspring
              Naturally grown algae will not be the main staple for these fish but it will play in where it can.

I can see where the catfish will steal eggs when possible. I have witnessed it myself with my mbuna. However, I can assure you Synodontis multipunctatus wasn't considered for this aquarium. Honestly the only catfish I actually considered was Synodontis eupterus.All will be taken into consideration in stocking this aquarium. Thanks for the input
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by barrettsline View Post
                Naturally grown algae will not be the main staple for these fish but it will play in where it can.

I can see where the catfish will steal eggs when possible. I have witnessed it myself with my mbuna. However, I can assure you Synodontis multipunctatus wasn't considered for this aquarium. Honestly the only catfish I actually considered was Synodontis eupterus.All will be taken into consideration in stocking this aquarium. Thanks for the input
                How about Dwarf petricolar?

I have 2 Synodontis eupterus in my Moba tank and really like them. Goofy personality and funny looking with their huge belly. However, they are like a vacuum machine at feeding time.
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community

Comment

the only problem with the dwarf petricola are they are just like there counter parts, Synodontis multipunctatus. they will steal eggs and cause your fish to carry there fry.

Synodontis eupterus are great catfish. and they can certainly help cleanup extra food.

Really only looking to keep one with the fish. Clown loaches will be my main crew. I do miss my
                  Auchenoglanis occidentalis though. wouldn't mind finding a true dwarf version of those.
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

look great and simple scape a lot free space for fish swim around.

Comment

I love it, a lone eupterus would be boss roaming through that tank. Petricolas are my favorite synos, but like you said, little devils when it comes to breeding

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Yeah I saw one that was gorgeous at Aqua zoo when I went in about a week ago. But I don't want one that size. I'd rather have one about 3" in length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I have requested a quote from a local canopy and stand builder on building a canopy to match the stand
                          Barrettslin, can you pm me his contact?
                          020G Leulepi grow-out
                          030G Leulepi breeder
                          030G SRD FlowerHorn
                          090G Tangs community
                          100G Tangs community

Comment

Just picked up an eheim 2260. One more and it will be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Just a quick update:

Installed an eheim 2260 and added 6 clown loaches to the tank this past weekend. I also installed a hydor koralia 1150 on the left side of the tank. I would have installed the second one I bought, but the impeller was broken on arrival. Luckily the ebay seller said it was no big issue an he would ship me a new one today.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my wet/dry system (Silicone is drying) and I hope to install it tonight if all goes well. Hopefully my heater will fit in the bottom of the wet/dry, otherwise I will have to replace it with something else. I will be purchasing a better surge protector with more outlets hopefully this evening.
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                              X