135 Gallon Oceanic Tropheus Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrettsline View Post
    I will try to take some better pictures this evening, but with my up and coming trip time is limited to things I need to do as opposed to want to do.
    Have you made a decision on which variant you'll be keeping?

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Yes....no....yes.....no.....YES...........no.

Thats the hardest thing I am struggling with at the moment. I have enlisted the help of my wife to pick which one she thinks is "pretty". I now have a list of about 6-8. However the top of the list has some nice variants.

1. Red Rainbows
      2. Moliros
      3. Ilangi
      4. Lufubu
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Yes....no....yes.....no.....YES...........no.

Thats the hardest thing I am struggling with at the moment. I have enlisted the help of my wife to pick which one she thinks is "pretty". I now have a list of about 6-8. However the top of the list has some nice variants.

1. Red Rainbows
        2. Moliros
        3. Ilangi
        4. Lufubu
        Lol good work on including your wife in the decision.. now she can't complain! (yea right)

Rainbows or Ilangi are my vote

Comment

Rainbows are 99% probably going to be what is choosen. Lead time and order time is going to be the thing. Talking with some friends who have contacts on fish. It's not necessarily the money, it's the lead time to get them. Do to the cold, a lot of importers don't want to bring new fish in. Iv'e talked to a few who say they can bring them in, but it will be about a month or so.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Can't blame em, that's a long trip for wild fish in the cold. I'm surprised money isn't an issue, red rainbows are in high demand, so I can only imagine what they run for wild caught. The less stress on the fish the better, it should be well worth the wait

Comment

Very true. The other thing is the amount i'm wanting to bring in. Again once all is said and done at the end of the day, I will be happy. not to mention I have time to wait considering i'm trying to watch everything right now, I'm ordering meds, food, buying more equipment, etc. Like I said to begin with I probably wont even consider stocking the tank until the end of February.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Very true. The other thing is the amount i'm wanting to bring in. Again once all is said and done at the end of the day, I will be happy. not to mention I have time to wait considering i'm trying to watch everything right now, I'm ordering meds, food, buying more equipment, etc. Like I said to begin with I probably wont even consider stocking the tank until the end of February.
                Sounds like you've got it all under control. I always stress preparation with trophs. As long as you're well prepared, they're just like keeping any other fish. How many are you trying to bring in? (if you don't mind me asking)

Comment

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'll be honest this will be my second time keeping them. The first time I was vastly unprepared. I will be looking to bring in 30-35.
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I think that's most people's story for the first time keeping them. As long as you learn from the mistakes, you're golden. That's a solid group, can't wait to see em

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
                      That's a solid group, can't wait to see em
                      You and me both
                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

well I was hoping to give a better update than this, but being out of the country it's hard to do that. For now the equipment for the tank is set. I may consider ordering two of those MP 40'S. but that will have to wait for now. Currently trying to save all my per diem and compile that with my uplift for my trip to hopefully have almost all the money I need to place my fish order. On the bright side, algae is growing nicely on the rocks so far. Mostly brown but there are some green patches already shown some promise, so things are looking good there. Pictures will hopefully come after I do a water change the weekend I get back home. The new impeller for my second power head did come in the mail yesterday so I am looking forward to getting that put on. Well, that's all for now. come on pay day!!!
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

So lets see, where am I at with this build.....well i'm done. Other than fish, the only issue plaguing me right now is heat. The aquarium is running hotter than I need it too (83-84), so i'm currently in the process of isolating issues, and making adjustments. Never had these issues back in the day, so there has been a lot of time spent reading up on stuff.

On a bright note I did source a 2217 that is going to run with nothing but biobale and 2L of seachem purigen. I will be running this through the wetdry as it can do just as much good there as it can in the tank itself.

Next will be determining how to raise my light off the top of my aquarium. I dont like that it sits directly on the top of the aquarium itself so I will probably build a stand for the light so i can raise it at least 4-6".

Powerhead placement is still being messed with. They will probably be pointed more towards the top of the aquarium to promote better air mix and allow for better evaporation rate(Not that I really want that but if it helps oh well).

So yeah, thats about where I'm at for the moment. Money is being/has been set aside to order fish with. Now it's simply locating the ones I want.
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Eheim 2260/62 filters generate a lot of heat, as do powerheads. Three 2262s and four Aqueon 2400s kept my old 450 plenty warm and my heaters hardly came on, even in the winter. In fact I had to ventilate the stand to draw out heat to help keep the tank under 80 degrees.
                            http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                              Eheim 2260/62 filters generate a lot of heat, as do powerheads. Three 2262s and four Aqueon 2400s kept my old 450 plenty warm and my heaters hardly came on, even in the winter. In fact I had to ventilate the stand to draw out heat to help keep the tank under 80 degrees.
                              I agree that once everything is working together a lot of heat can be produced. Still puzzles me though. I had more on my 210 (2-2260's, Mag 9.5, and that Koralia 6/7) and I never got above 80. Not saying each setup isn't different. But hey I will have everything right before I invest into fish. I'ts only right and fair to them. Time is on my side fortunately.

And if I do have to add a fan, I will be using one of these that I have laying around in my garage. It will move more air than any fan I can buy at walmart LOL.

All things considered, I am happy that the tank is coming along nicely.

IMG_4998.jpg

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG
                              Last edited by barrettsline; 02-10-2015, 11:49 AM.
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Are using the same temperature gauge? LOL
                                http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Working...
                                X