Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for Stocking a Ten Gallon (For Beginners)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Stocking a Ten Gallon (For Beginners)

You got a ten gallon, and it has been set up and fully cycled (I really hope that you did your research on cycling), now you want to get some fish. As a beginner, what choices do you have? Unfortunately, there aren't many choices for a ten gallon, but I will give you some excellent examples of what most beginners (and some uncommon but easy fish too) put in a ten gallon. I will let you know what is actually not suitable, and what is.

The BAD choices:

One popular choice most people get are Neon Tetras (Paracheirodon innesi). While they are easy over all, I do not recommend them for a ten gallon. They need a school of at least eight to ten individuals to survive well. They get too big to add that many to such a small tank size. Also, almost all captive-bred Neon Tetras have Neon Tetra Disease (Pleistophora hyphessobryconis). There is no cure at all, and will wipe out every fish in the aquarium containing the Neon Tetras, including the tetras themselves.

Another popular fish I would not recommend are Zebra Danios (Danio rerio). They are nearly indestructible, but they also need a group of at least eight to ten to do well. Even though they stay fairly small, they are an extremely active species, and they need at least a twenty gallon to do well.

The Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster lalius) are also popular, but they are also unsuitable for the ten gallon. Males need to have territories, and because of that, they need at least a fifteen gallon. Almost all captive-bred individuals are diseased, and most Asian breeder fill them up on steroids too. They will fall part before you know it.

Most, if not all, species of Molly are not suitable. They all need at least a twenty to thirty gallon to do well. Even though they are fairly easy, they need a bit of aquarium salt in the water.

Any fish that ends up getting large-sized will also be unsuitable too. There are also many other unsuitable choices out there, but there are way too many to list. Just ask me if a certain fish is suitable or not.

The GOOD choices:

The #1 fish I recommend most are Endler's Livebearers (Poecilia wingei). They are a small and extremely beautiful fish related to the Guppy (Poecilia reticulata). They are very playful and active, but small enough for a ten gallon. How easy are they? Easier than Guppies! There are many strains of Endler out there, but the Black Bar is the most popular. Make sure you purchase certified N class Endler's! They are also my favorite fish.

The Guppy (Poecilia reticulata) is another great choice! There are many strains out there to choose from, but I prefer the wild types the most. The wild types are also smaller.

Any ornamental strain of betta (Betta splendens) is a good choice. NEVER PUT THEM IN A TANK SMALLER THAN FIVE GALLONS! If you are putting them in something smaller than a five gallon, it will be considered animal cruelty. Never add two males in the same tank, as they will fight to the death, so only keep one male. I recommend females as they are much more peaceful, but BE CAREFUL! A lot of breeders pass off short fin males (Plakats) as females.

I do not recommend wild bettas at all. Even a wild Betta splendens needs care from a more experienced fish keeper. Betta imbellis may be a good choice. They are a bit easy, and you can even keep males together! They will flare at each other, but they will rarely harm each other. They need a heavily planted tank (real or fake plants) to do well, and they can be skittish too. Be sure you have a tight cover with no gaps, since all wild betta species (including imbellis) are excellent jumpers. They also need acidic to moderately alkaline water to survive (they should do well in Houston tap water, which has a pH of around 7.6).

Sparkling Gouramis (Trichopsis pumila) are another great choice! They are a small yet strikingly beautiful fish. They even make a croaking or crackling sound too. You can put at least six individuals in a ten gallon.

The Gardner's Killifish (Fundulopanchax gardneri) is a good choice. A pair will do fine in a ten gallon. Make sure that you cover is tight, and have no gaps, as they are good jumpers.

There are some other great choices too, but I can't name them all. I could have also went into more detail with each fish mentioned, but that would take up too much time for everyone, including me. Just ask me of a fish is suitable or not, and I will let you know! I won't bite! I hope this will help you choose the right fish for your tank. Remember, Please do your research BEFORE you buy any livestock!
    Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 01-19-2015, 04:29 PM.
    ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something
    fishy going on here, and I kinda like it!

Thanks so much for this information!! I have a ten gallon and I bought six Neons and only one survived... I never knew they have a disease.
    Last edited by applesweat; 01-17-2015, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Try Celestichthys margaritatus (celestial pearl danios) like most danios they are very hardy and will tolerate a variety of water conditions and pH. You can put a school of 12 in a 10 gallon. Just make sure it's nice and cycled and if you use a power filter cover the intake with a sponge or mesh, otherwise they can get sucked up. The biggest problems with neon tetras and cardinal tetras is they don't do well over time in our Houston liquid concrete. I've kept and spawned them in 10 gallon tanks, but they really only do well in soft / RO water with a low bacterial load. Many of your tetra species really don't do so well in hard water. White cloud minnows, smaller danios (zebra danios) will do ok in small schools of 6 and are super hardy. They can do well in our Houston water.
      Emerald Green Rainbowfish
      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by applesweat View Post
        Thanks so much for this information!! I have a ten gallon and I bought six Neons and only one survived... I never knew they have a disease.
        You're welcome! Yeah, almost all captive-bred and massed produced Neons are diseased.
        ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
          Try Celestichthys margaritatus (celestial pearl danios) like most danios they are very hardy and will tolerate a variety of water conditions and pH. You can put a school of 12 in a 10 gallon. Just make sure it's nice and cycled and if you use a power filter cover the intake with a sponge or mesh, otherwise they can get sucked up. The biggest problems with neon tetras and cardinal tetras is they don't do well over time in our Houston liquid concrete. I've kept and spawned them in 10 gallon tanks, but they really only do well in soft / RO water with a low bacterial load. Many of your tetra species really don't do so well in hard water. White cloud minnows, smaller danios (zebra danios) will do ok in small schools of 6 and are super hardy. They can do well in our Houston water.
          Celestichthys margaritatus are a great choice in a ten gallon. I recommend them. A tetra that will definitely do well in a ten gallon are Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae). You can keep a nice group of them in a ten gallon. Glowlight Danios (Danio choprae) are a beautiful fish that can be good for a ten gallon. They stay fairly small, so you can add a group of eight in a ten gallon. Always get a group of at least eight, since they are a schooling fish. The same applies to the Ember tetras. Since the Danios are a very active species, they will actually need a fifteen or even a twenty gallon tank, but they will do fine in a ten gallon for a while.
          ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Brandon very nice post on 10g setup. I my self have had Endler's and know about grading Endler's. You should let everyone know what you mean by class N. For me class P were ok. Because My fish love to eat them.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
              Brandon very nice post on 10g setup. I my self have had Endler's and know about grading Endler's. You should let everyone know what you mean by class N. For me class P were ok. Because My fish love to eat them.
              I'll be getting into all of that soon. I don't want to jam the beginner with all of that information at once. I will be doing a "Fish of the Month" article for the Greater Houston Aquarium Club newsletter, and the Endler's Livebearer will be featured at some point. I will then discuss all of the various classes and grades of the Endler's Livebearer, I'll even mention some of my favorite strains. For someone just trying to find something to stock their tank, going through all of those grades and classes would be pointless to me (and them).
              Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 01-19-2015, 04:32 PM.
              ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, a great reference for beginners and advanced hobbyists alike

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
                  Thanks for taking the time to put this together, a great reference for beginners and advanced hobbyists alike
                  You're welcome. This was originally a Facebook post I made for my friends who would like to get into the freshwater aquarium hobby. I chose a ten gallon because that is the most common size a beginner gets. I ended up posting it here, and now it will be featured in the February edition of the Greater Houston Aquarium Club newsletter. I made an article exclusive to the newsletter that will be in the March issue. I will also be writing other things for the newsletter too.
                  Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 01-19-2015, 04:33 PM.
                  ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon O'Brian View Post
                    You're welcome. This was originally a Facebook post I made for my friends who would like to get into the freshwater aquarium hobby. I chose a ten gallon because that is the most common size a beginner gets. I ended up posting it here, and now it will be featured in the February edition of the Greater Houston Aquarium Club newsletter. I made an article exclusive to the newsletter that will be in the March issue. I will also be writing other things for the newsletter too.
                    Awesome! I'm sure Roy appreciates the help with the newsletter. I've been meaning to get on one for a while lol looking forward to more good reads to come

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
                      Awesome! I'm sure Roy appreciates the help with the newsletter. I've been meaning to get on one for a while lol looking forward to more good reads to come
                      Roy loves what I have done so far. I am happy to write these articles. I will be announcing what my article for March will be about at the Greater Houston Aquarium Club Facebook group in February.
                      ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Working...
                      X