Babies having babies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies having babies!

I have a pair of jewel cichlids that just spawned. That by itself is not unusual or even noteworthy except that they are just babies themselves. The larger of the 2 is less than 2 inches. But they chose a good defensible spot to spawn and seem to be very serious about defending their spawn. They are chasing off fish magnitudes larger than themselves, taking turns fanning the eggs and scouting the area for a safe next home for the babies. Something else noteworthy , to me at least is that they spawned on a vertical surface. They spawned on a vertical piece of wood. I don't know yet if the eggs are fertile but we will see. I secured the area for them with a piece of slate to keep the plecos out of there and now it is up to them. I will include some pics later.

Update:
    Here are some pics. I tried to show the size of the parents. A large severum was trying forcefully to get to the eggs so the parents did the only thing they could do to protect the babies. They ate them! The eggs are gone now but I think they will be a good pair. I will give them private quarters in the future.
    IMG_20150107_152550944.jpgIMG_20150107_152436545.jpgIMG_20150107_154101527.jpgIMG_20150107_152428819.jpgIMG_20150107_161302321.jpgIMG_20150107_152504799.jpg
    Last edited by Ken B; 01-07-2015, 11:27 PM.

There are very pretty fish. Ones you have them in their own tank they will have more babies then you can get rid of. Lots of fish start spawning as Juv.s
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

There are some other SA species I am more interested in breeding. Geo Brasiliensis, Red Severums (But I am thinking of breeding them with greens to make a stronger line) Green Terrors, Red Terrors, if I can find any, and play with some catfish while I am at it! And I don't know if there is any market but I want to breed krobius and electric blue acara.

Comment

I have a breeding pair of Geophagus Brasiliensis. Tapajo and Long fine bristle nose pleco's. A few other groups of Pleco I'm waiting on. Not much market for SA-CA. Africans seem to be what everyone is in to. So jewel's may do well.

Comment

I have a breeding pair of tapajo and I have found it fairly easy to sell fry. My super red severums just paired up and laid eggs but female ate them. Looking to try and breed heckelii next. Need to do some research first

Comment

And jewels can hang with africans too. I know almost everybody is crazy about africans and I don't blame them but new world are pretty cool too! I have tropheus fry and peacock fry so I will be doing african too but I will keep with the new world too. I just bought 28 geophagus brasiliensis yesterday. They are 2.5 to 3.5 inches so I expect them to breed as soon as I get them set up correctly. They are going into a 125 that is currently cycling. I bought the tank and set it up but didn't know what I was going to do with it until I came across these geophagus brasiliensis. So now I will have a 125 geo tank.

Comment

Jewels are African.

Comment

Well I'll be! I always thought they were sa.

Comment

I would pull the eggs next time those red severums spawn. If you have a successful spawn, I'll buy some fry from you.

Comment

She ate them as she was laying them. Was her first time

Comment

She will get better at it.

Comment

I have Geophagus Brasiliensis if interested! Second pic is of parents!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you but I already have Geophagus Brasiliensis. They are 2 to 3 inches and I will trade some of them for some other geo species.

Comment

Working...
                          X