No announcement yet.

LED Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't keep trophs, but I heard they like lots of flow right. Would it be a problem with breeding?
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
      Don't keep trophs, but I heard they like lots of flow right. Would it be a problem with breeding?
      They certainly do. I don't think it's as important when it comes to breeding, outside of simulating their natural environment, but I think it's important in curbing aggression. The main purpose of high flow for tropheus is to keep your water super oxygenated

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

LED Lighting

From my experience the Tropheus/Petrochromis love flow, they actually breed a lot with more flow/water movements. I had notify my Malagarasi breed more often when I have two Koralia 8 in their tank and they slow down when I remove one of the powerhead. I am just recently add another Jebao RW-15 and they seem to starting again.
        Last edited by Vinnynguyen4917; 02-03-2015, 09:18 PM.
        Tropheus Moorii Golden Kazumba
        Petrochromis Red Mahale

Comment

This is good to know Vinny. I was hoping someone else might step in since I've never actually bred them lol

Comment

All good Austin just want to shared from my experience. Someone else may have different opinions though.
            Petrochromis Red Mahale

Comment

Well, it could make it somewhat difficult for the male(s) to actually fertilize the eggs properly. I have had friends who had massive flow and the eggs weren't being fertilized. They reduced the flow inside the tank and that was the key. But it all depends on the fish themselves. BTW, they look great. They've grown since you got them from me.
              210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
              125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by moganman View Post
                Well, it could make it somewhat difficult for the male(s) to actually fertilize the eggs properly. I have had friends who had massive flow and the eggs weren't being fertilized. They reduced the flow inside the tank and that was the key. But it all depends on the fish themselves. BTW, they look great. They've grown since you got them from me.
                Whatever gets the job done. Much appreciated man, they've grown quite nicely. Thanks for bringing them in

Comment

If you want the best deal on aquarium LEDs, find topdogsellers store in ebay.
                  Shop wisely. Look for the right spectrum to suit your needs. Around 6500 for planted tanks. Higher is bluer, which makes your blue fish pop, but then your yellow fish wont be as bright.
                  Most important, check the lumens!!!
                  The all say super bright, double super bright, triple dog super bright, blah-blah-blah
                  You want numbers, and if they won't provide them I'll give 3 guesses why.
                  I bought a 2ft. long light in the 6500 range with about 3400 lumens or so. That's about as bright as a xenon headlight, give or take. It was only about $44 from topdogsellers.
                  Not bad, huh? :)
                  I also bought a 4 footer with about 6400 ( or so) lumens. I think it was just $60 or $70. BUT, he was out of it in 6500, so I bought the closest to it, 10,000.
                  I wish i had waited for more 6500s to come in. 10,000 is a little cold, like fluorescent shop lights, but my plants seem happy with it.
                  I also think the waterproof outdoor spot lights are a great option, if it suits your setup and decore. I wouldn't go lower than 30 watts though, 50 watts if you have a deep (24" +) tank.
                  I think I'll go that route for my hexagonal tank. I thought I'd buy a little $30 Webber portable charcoal grill and use the bottom turned upside-down for a shade to cover the spotlight, then hang it from the ceiling.
                  Just a thought.

Comment

Wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I went with 30w LED flood lights and made some poles to mount then on. I'm happy and spent about $100 all together. Not too shabby.

uploadfromtaptalk1425928812239.jpg
                    300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

Looks awesome man. Mind sharing some build specs on the poles? Looks much cleaner that way. Those bulus are looking sweet!!

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
                        Looks awesome man. Mind sharing some build specs on the poles? Looks much cleaner that way. Those bulus are looking sweet!!
                        +1. Looking sweet. I got to get my hand on these LED.
                        010G Long fin BN grow-out
                        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community
                        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

That looks great!
                          I have to pull my 24" LED fixture off my cube (the driftwood pokes up and gets in the way) And try these spots instead.
                          I was afraid shelf brackets might look cheap and garagey, but yours look really sharp. Good job.

Comment

Nothing high tech about the poles. Just 1" square pipes which were welded at 90 deg and painted flat black.
                            300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

Look very nice Thomas.
                              Petrochromis Red Mahale

Comment

Working...
                              X