Aquarium Addicts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquarium Addicts

1. At risk- " the tourist" You go to the aquarium. You visit your friend who has a nice aquarium and like staring at their fish, but you never buy one. You think someday.

2. Recreational User/ Binger- " the cycler" You've been to petcart or petshmo and saw the pretty fishies. Lets set up a tank. Hey time to put fish in. It's been a couple of hours that 10 gallon is cycled. Time to put in that cute oscar. ... 1 day later time to burry that oscar in the back yard. Well better luck next time. Time to take down the tank and try something new like a colony of wild ferrets ( what could go wrong? )

3. Psychologically Addicted- " fish in a bowl"/ "Gary Coleman" Maybe you have a single betta or a black moor goldfish who you've named Abraham. Sometimes you talk to it, and confined your deepest darkest secretes. Sometimes it talks back. and you say "What you talkin about?"

4.Physiologically Addicted- "horder"/ Dagon level 10 You don't just have one tank. You have a room dedicated to madness. Your hands are never dry. When the aquarium count falls below double digits, you are panic. You refer to fish by their scientific names. You tell people it relaxes you. But we know the truth. ( tropheus, Petros, shrimp, killies )

5.Experimenter- "chemist"/"Doc Occ"- You know your water. You know how to to tweek it.Buffer here, buffer there. Those hard corals make you h@%* Calcium baby! You've the lumens. Forget nature. You're better than nature. You are a god of the waters. You've placed frags into this once sterile vessel, and life has sprung forth. But some day like pH this world will crash.

6.Rock Bottom- "Duce Bigalo"- You had it all the tanks, the fish, the lighting, the filters. People respected you. They came to you for advice, until you grew out that mongrel koi. Now you're alone. Maybe you've got a tank. Maybe you have a fish. But it's got 1 eye and swims head down. One too many leaky tanks. One too many bodies flushed down the toilet. Who knew the whole tank would get bloat. You became careless. Too many tanks not enough water changes.
    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Oh my! I'm physiologically AND psychologically addicted. What do we do!? xD
    Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 12-18-2014, 09:41 PM.
    ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something
    fishy going on here, and I kinda like it!

Comment

Psychologically addicted, physiologically addicted, experimenting, and always at-risk of falling further into the hobby lol

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

ALL OF THE ABOVE
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I don't want to go to rehab!
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

If being anyone of these is wrong, then I don't want to be right! Haha...

Comment

The first step is acknowledging you've got an addiction.
              Then deny it.
              Use the "Frozen" method of problem solving:
              1. Conceal - expenditures on aquariums and aquarium related products. fight that urge to pull over to LFS, that you happen to be driving past , when you have the family in the car. Take them home or drop them off at the mall and sneak off. Remember to delete your browsing history, so your love ones don't wander into your "fishy" sites.
              2. Don't Feel - never let them see you overly excited about water changes, new fish ect. Fight the compulsion to rearrange your aquarium decor , while you have company in the house.
              3. Don't Let them know- when you've snuck in a new tank, bought new fish ( yes they just magically multiply), you spilled a lot of water the other day, and used the guess bathroom towels to wipe up the dirty aquarium water.

But when all fails with your decent into madness. The " Now they know" scenario ( this is where you bust out into a Disney Animated Movie inspired musical number- to emphasize the fact that you are crazy and in fact dangerous if anything gets between you and your addiction)
              ... Let it flow. Let it flow. Can't hold it back any more.
              Let it flow. Let it flow. Shop around and buy some more.
              Here's my stands. There my tanks. There are fish inbound!
              The smell never bothered me anyway.

Dancing around with a towel around your neck, holding a bucket and a siphon adds to the intensity of the performance.
              Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Damn, you pretty much sum it all up. . Now I know I am addicted! What's next?
                010G Long fin BN grow-out
                020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community
                150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Yeah, I can definitely say that I'm addicted. I love my livebearers, shrimps and Killies! I can't live without them! Everyone always has to pry me out of any LFS I enter.
                  ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon O'Brian View Post
                    Yeah, I can definitely say that I'm addicted. I love my livebearers, shrimps and Killies! I can't live without them! Everyone always has to pry me out of any LFS I enter.
                    What killies do you keep?
                    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Is there going to be support group meetings somewhere now?

Comment

This is your support group.
                        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                          What killies do you keep?
                          I currently don't have any Killies, since I just got back into the hobby after taking a year long break. I have mainly kept a bunch of Fundulopanchax gardneri (my favorite Killie). I have also kept several more that I can't remember. I do remember keeping Aphyosemion australe, Fundulopanchax sjoestedti, Epiplatys sexfasciatus, and Epiplatys annulatus. I also had a pair of Nothobranchius, but I can't remember which species it was that I kept. I will be definitely be getting more Killies in the near future. I love them too much.
                          ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Love Pseudoepiplatys annulatus. I had a nice group once.
                            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                              Love Pseudoepiplatys annulatus. I had a nice group once.
                              Pseudoepiplatys actually sounds better. They are a great little Killi.
                              ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Working...
                              X