Cichlid Fishing- Peacock Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cichlid Fishing- Peacock Bass

Not sure if this is the right forum, but figured I'd share these. I first saw a peacock bass 23 years ago when I was 4 years old on a fishing tv show, and have been obsessed ever since. I've had them in the aquarium 2 different times and love watching them, and seeing them inhale food. My wife and I were married in May and honeymooned in Oahu, and I was able to achieve a life long dream of catching these amazing fish (all fish released unharmed!). I took my fly rod and some flies I tied with me, and we booked a guide for a half day trip. I ended up with 5 and my wife caught one too on spinning gear (she decided to be the photographer after her fish). They don't get as big there as they do in South America, but I have never fought another fish like them. Biggest went about 5 lbs. I'm planning a trip to South America with my dad for my 30th in a few years to try and land a 10+ pounder. Here's some picutes from the trip:

Very nice Big! I have been fishing for years. Grow up with a dad that fished. (salt water) So my brothers and I started early. I have never had the pleasure to fish for Peacock bass but I have caught a 11lb big mouth here.(ones in a life time catch) Also an 8' bull shark and countless salt water game fish. The best times I remember as a kid is fishing with my dad. I can only hope my kids and grandkid feel the same way.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
      Very nice Big! I have been fishing for years. Grow up with a dad that fished. (salt water) So my brothers and I started early. I have never had the pleasure to fish for Peacock bass but I have caught a 11lb big mouth here.(ones in a life time catch) Also an 8' bull shark and countless salt water game fish. The best times I remember as a kid is fishing with my dad. I can only hope my kids and grandkid feel the same way.
      Thanks for sharing.
      I started young as well with my dad and grandfather. We take the boat out chasing specs in west bay atleast once a week. But I like to fish freshwater too.

Comment

Awesome catches, what other game did you land out there? I hope someday to do some exotic fishing, but for now I'll settle for our local bass. Haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like, but here are some pics of my local catches (always catch and release)
        10270732_10201755682162811_6320183816565787952_n.jpgResizedImage_1393978452130.jpg0627141828b.jpg

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

We don't get to fresh water fish much but we have a place on east Matagorda bay. When you fish close to the river you will some times get big bass but we stay on the south side of the bay most the time.
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
            Awesome catches, what other game did you land out there? I hope someday to do some exotic fishing, but for now I'll settle for our local bass. Haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like, but here are some pics of my local catches (always catch and release)
            Lake Wilson in Oahu is like fishing in an aquarium. It's stocked with bass and sunfish, but it also has a healthy population of Red Devils and many other tropical species.

check out hawaiibassfishing.com

Comment

Very nice catches. I havent been fishing in a long time, but I loved to go fishing in the creeks when I was younger for minnows and sunnys. small pickings, but still fun

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                Very nice catches. I havent been fishing in a long time, but I loved to go fishing in the creeks when I was younger for minnows and sunnys. small pickings, but still fun
                I am obsessed with catching giant sunfish. I have a 2wt fly rod just for that purpose. Creek fishing is a blast.

Comment

yeah my biggest catch was like a 6 incher....didnt exactly put up any fight haha

Comment

Working...
                  X