Sump to Display Turnover rates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump to Display Turnover rates.

So what flow-rate should your tank have between the sump and display[not including circulation pumps]?
    I've always heard 5-20x/hr turnover. But 10x/hr is the most common.
    Right now my turnover rate is around 1.4x between the sump and display. 78gph on a 55 gallon total volume system. Which is pathetic [the pump is rated for 225gph, max head of 4.6' and I've been running it nearly a year like this -.-;]
    I've done a lot of reading about this in the past, but nothing really breaks it down with valid reasons. What's the benefit of having more turn over between the sump and return? What's the cons of having too little turnover between your sump and display?

Well from what iv looked at slower is typically better but many will argue differently. The way iv come to understand it slower = gives more time for your LR and Macro algae to do their job and export nutrients. This also rings true (to a certain degree) with your skimmer but if given too much time itll recycle the water already skimmed. With low flow its harder to dose chems in your sump since they need to be dispersed rather uniform fashion since you dont want a super concentrated mix hitting your system. I personally go slow with mine at around 8x to 12x ish turnover rate (depending on head loss) however I have a 50 gallon sump so it seems like its going quite slow. Feel free to research this topic but its honestly what works best for your system.

Pro Tip* i use a small powerhead in my sump to disperse my chems when dosing. Since i have a low turnover rate it gets everything all mixed up before it heads off to the display.

Comment

Working...
    X