Torn Caudal Fins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn Caudal Fins

I just wanted to get some people's remedies for torn fins.

the heater was broken for a while, so over the summer the temp hovered in the 72-75F range. the temp may have been delaying regeneration and i just got a new heater in there last week, so its around 78-80F now.

have not done salt yet.

this can only be from nipping/chasing. the tank is 56gal, but the design of the tank is more tall/deep, so not as much lateral movement for territories. all fish are healthy.

Here are the fish in the tank:
    3 Geophagus Surinamensis
    ->2 males 6" or so, and one female around 3-4"
    2 Geophagus Brasiliensis
    ->I think one male (5") and one female (4")
    10 Red Blue Columbian Tetras
    2 Silver Dollars
    1 Common Black Pleco

My two male geophagus surinamensis both have multiple rips in their caudal fins, primarily from when a black convict was being housed with them. i sold the convict like 6 months ago, and their tails still appear essentially the same, so my guess is they chase eachother a bit (or their tails just will never be the same).

the rest of the geos have some less pronounced rips/chips out of the tails

Melafix works good on damaged fins.

Comment

I'd guess aggression was the root cause, perhaps removing one of the males would remedy it. I have seen our read head tapajos nip at each other a lot and there is always some trivial caudal rips/tears/damage on the males and females
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by Rico04 View Post
        Melafix works good on damaged fins.
        yeah some meds will stop the threat of infection, but the rips are not bad enough to cause any infection. trying to avoid medications and go more natural if i can do it
        Last edited by morpheus; 11-07-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          I'd guess aggression was the root cause, perhaps removing one of the males would remedy it. I have seen our read head tapajos nip at each other a lot and there is always some trivial caudal rips/tears/damage on the males and females
          my guess is aggression too. the females have some minor chips/tears. the two surin. males have a love/hate relationship. grew up together, so wherever one goes the other follows. just sometimes they have a go at eachother i guess. i like them both, and they dont cause eachother any body damage, but i dont have another tank suitable for the second one to move. would have to trade into a store or a someone on here

Comment

Hospital tank + melafix+heat+time

Comment

Working...
            X