My Calvus are Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Calvus are Coming!

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I ordered 6 2 inch Black Calvus yesterday. I'll be getting them delivered today before 10:30am. I've debated over the last 3 months on whether to go with tropheus vs altos. I set up a 55 gallon grow out display tank. I decided against the tropheus, due to the fact that I created come large foam rock work with foam and lava rock. There was too much exposed black expanding foam, and I could just see the trophs eating it and bloating out on me. Plus, I promised my wife that I wouldn't buy anything longer than a 4 ft long tank for now.
    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Very cool...I've always thought Calvus were a cool looking fish...I've only owned one in and lost him when I removed holey rock during cleaning and didn't realize that he was hiding in one of the holes...Be sure to post pics once you get a chance...

Comment

I have an Inkfin and a Yellow Calvus and they are my sleeper favorite in my Tang Community. They aren't aggressive at all except when you have fry in the tank and they are good slurpers! Their jaws are great at slurping fry right out of the rock crevices. Slow growers but their Prehistoric look is what all my non Aquarium friends notice right off. Good luck!!! They are great!!!

Comment

Yeah, I love the look. I use to keep Alto. compresiceps "tigers". My wife calls them pit-bulls. They kind of did. But my Calvus look like dobbermans. My wife thinks they're ugly, Lol. My son calls them Dino-bot fish. He calls the largest one Grimlock. I'll post pics when, I get a chance to take them. I'm gonna try to get some Alto. compresiceps "gold head" muzi or Leleupi to throw in with them.
        I was gonna get the "inkfin" variety, but these black pearl congos look awsome with their large irregular dots.
        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I just converted my 60 cube to a calvus tank. Have 11 orange and yellow's in the tank

Comment

Nice guys , I have a 6 inch gold head and various other large calvus and comps. Verry slow growing fish if you guys dont know. A few years back i bread my other gold head and this coming year ill be selling the fry. Its taken me four years to raise the fry up and get them to about two inches in size
            5 gal baby hecqui grow out
            7 gal baby compressicps
            14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
            4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
            100 gal mixed community tank
            125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

Kind of getting the tropheus bug. I just got these guys but, I'm thinking about switching them out.
              Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                Kind of getting the tropheus bug. I just got these guys but, I'm thinking about switching them out.
                Doooo it. Tropheus are awesome fish. Set up a 40 breeder for the calvus and scoop some trophs

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Rock cracked the side of my tank. Wife's not happy. Will likely need to find my calvus a home. Definitely puts a stop to getting tropheus for now. No big tanks for now.
                  Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Oh no, sorry to hear that man. Do what you can to salvage your tank and your chances of being able to keep tanks

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

If u need im able to house you calvus for you!
                      5 gal baby hecqui grow out
                      7 gal baby compressicps
                      14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
                      4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
                      100 gal mixed community tank
                      125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

Thanks for the offer. Right now they are in a 10gallon. There's a guy who contacted me the other day. He is interested in buying them. I love them but not such a good idea to have large volumes of water in my house hold
                        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
                        X