Need help quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help quick

Doing water changes on all my tanks. 5 tanks done no problem. Just refilled troph tank and many fish are at the surface. Some at the bottom very lethargic. Tested ammonia at 0. Tested nitrite at 0. Made sure to add in prime safe. Draining water again now. What do I do? Need some help quick

Tested ph. Tap coming out at 8.8 which is really high. Normally around 8. Tank testing at 8.0. Could this be the culprit? If so what is my next step, I have a half drained 125

Comment

More oxygen?
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

try more aeration. I have that problem on some tanks and some fish, and increasing the air flow seems to help. Also, smaller water changes help. I like to do 90% but I lost catfish babies and had to start doing 50% on those tanks.
        Guppies:
        Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
        Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
        HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Has 3 canisters that all break the surface and also have a 1600gph power head the move water.

Comment

I would try more air. I was having that prob. in the planted tank. I added an air stone and a good pump and the prob. is gone.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Air bro air. 8.8 ph in a troph tank would be good as most tanganyika fish can handle up to 9 ph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just odd as I change the tank the same way every time for 6 months. Must have been extra ammonia or chlorine from tap

Comment

Lost 1 fish. Everyone else is fine. I consider that a win since I thought I was going to loose everything.

Comment

nod, I would too. I've lost entire tanks to this. It is very weird.
                    Guppies:
                    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Have no idea if this is true but I have been told by a LFS to not do water changes when it rains due to the water companies add extra chemicals to water when it rains and to wait a day or so.

Comment

Originally posted by cks View Post
                        Have no idea if this is true but I have been told by a LFS to not do water changes when it rains due to the water companies add extra chemicals to water when it rains and to wait a day or so.
                        Definitely true! There's a couple threads on here about the Houston water

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

if you have a circulation pump, ie koralia ect. take a small piece of airline tubing and stick it in the top or where ever it can slide throgh the fins in the pump housing, let the other end of the tubing come out of the water. this will create a massiv venturi, blasting tiny air bubbles thoughout the entire tank. this is what i do for my trews.
                          ELOS 120 - Retroculus Xinguensis, Geogphagus Neambi
                          5g AIO Betta, Pygmy Cories

Comment

I feel your pain... lost this guy that way:

If there is a trick like not doing water changes near rainy days we need to know! It rains every day somewhere in Houston though it is so big. I am still scared every time I water change.

Comment

Originally posted by TTUhouston View Post
                              I feel your pain... lost this guy that way:

If there is a trick like not doing water changes near rainy days we need to know! It rains every day somewhere in Houston though it is so big. I am still scared every time I water change.
                              There's a few ways to attack this. You could avoid doing WCs after rain (do them as it rains, because the chemicals will come in the next few days), you could test your tapwater each time you do a WC (to tell if it's safe or if you need to dose more chemicals and add O2), you could let the water sit out for a week or more before using it to lower the chemical levels (but you would most likely need a large reservoir, and this can be timely), or you could invest in a carbon filter for WCs that removes the chlorine and chloramines as you refill your tank

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Working...
                              X