I'd the white lesions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd the white lesions

Attached photos and videos of my cichlids with white lesion can any I'd the problem
    Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    Attached Files

fungus? maybe from the result of injuries?
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

I just started treating with melafix and pimafix.

Comment

Looks like battle scars. Melafix should help

Comment

A little salt goes a long way too

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Just watch your plants with the salt. They can be pretty sensitive to it.

Comment

Totally missed that. Scratch the salt

Comment

i would lean towards fighting from the video and pictures. the cichlid in the catcher (pic 2)...the pectoral fins looks pretty frayed. maybe over crowded or not enough territories?

the melafix will help ward off infection, but wont stop others from picking at the injured fish. just have to keep an eye on it since you cant use salt to help

Comment

Yea the one in the box the day before was perfectly fine then i saw him in the corner hovering and didn't come out to eat. I netted him and put him in the box and noticed he was frayed and had scars. The next morning I came out and he was upside down in the box but breathing. Then this morning he was dead so in a Matter of three days he went from fine to dead. The only thing I can think of is I bought three Flavus 4 months ago that were suppose to be all males but one turned out to be a female. They are just hitting sexual maturity and I just started seeing the two male flavus having some scuffles but they never bother any of the other fish. They might chase one if they come close their territory but after the fish leaves their territory they leave them alone. Maybe there are fights going on at night I don't see. I need to take the female out and see if that calms things down. All the fish have been together for months with no signs of fighting until a week ago with the flavus.

Comment

Was on my last day of treatment last night of melafix and pimafix and notice a few of the fish gasping for air at the surface right before I went to sleep so I did a quick 25% water change hoping that would help until after work today. I woke up this morning and found three dead fish I fear there are a few more that died but didn't have time to find them before work. All the ones that died or missing at the moment are of course the more expensive Peacocks all my Mbuna seem to be alive. Didn't have time to test parameters but my ammonia, nitrites have been running 0 for the past year and half and my Nitrates vary between 20-80 depending on my water changes. The only thing I can think of is that I over medicated but I followed the instructions, or Prime is toxic when mixed with melafix and pimafix.anyone have any insight?

Comment

Most of those medications, as well as salt, will decrease the oxygen levels in your water. Add a bubbler while using them

Comment

Oxygon. the meds and detoxefier affect the oxygon in the water. Most med's say to up the air in the tank. Just my best guess.
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

i have a 2262 and 2217 moving water around I figured that would be enough oxygen. Live and learn expensive lesson though.

Comment

Been there done that. I'm still learning and I have keeped fish for a long time.
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

agreed. we have all been there at one point or another. fish gasping at the top is more indicative of low oxygen. if you have the water temp higher too, that will lower oxygen levels further.

the toxins do rise with the med treatments as well, since you are supposed to remove the carbon from filters if you use carbon. i even remove purigen bags to not burn them up during treatment just incase. the water changes will also quickly get the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates back down to acceptable levels

the water change probably helped a little. i would do another now that you are done treatment to lower the med level. some fish are just able to handle the shifts better than others
                              Last edited by morpheus; 10-30-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X