Don't know what this brown algae like is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know what this brown algae like is

I'm getting this brown algae like substance spreading all over my tank walls and rocks, what is this and what can I do to reduce it? It's slimy and Ive tried to wipe it away just seems to spread more everytime I wipe it away!!
    Attached Files

Diatoms? Maybe using tap for water? RO will eliminate nuisance silicates and excessive minerals.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Agreed with Roy. RODI should fix it, but also look in to your lighting and your water parameters. Nitrates, phosphates, and silicates can all feed it, and your photoperiod could be too high

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

I did use tap water, could be the reason why... I'll look Into the lights, nitrates and all the others! But what's the quickest way to eliminate it or reduce it from spreading?

Comment

Assuming it is diatoms, they make silicate removing compounds that will remove the silicates and essentially starve the algae, just make sure you follow all the instructions on the bottle. I think Seachem's Phosguard might work, but I'm not positive on that. Make sure not to wipe the algae around, as you'll just spread the diatoms through your water column. If you decide to clean it by hand, just move straight to the top of the tank and out of the water. Give your tank a good vacuuming. Is this a newly setup tank? Could it still be cycling?

Comment

Yes it's a new tank, still could be going thru the cycling process!

Comment

That could also be factoring in. Find a way to remove your silicates, and then stick to RODI for your WCs

Comment

Working...
              X