Help with cycle start please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with cycle start please

My tank is going to be a 90 Gallon fish focused with a few corals tank. I am new to the hobby so dont have any old equipment - buying and getting all new stuff.

I have purchased 80 lbs of Dry rock.

http://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-ACS0...words=dry+rock

So i plan to set up my tank and sump and all this weekend.

But i understand that i need to "cure" my rock separately since I will be needing to flush the water used to cure it anyway.

So please help me with the process. I am sure this like a second nature to a lot of you - but a quick step by step one liners will really help.

Or help me by editing the steps below.

1. Get a brute trash can that is clean
    2. Fill it up with filtered tap water (filter i have in my refrigerator)
    3. Add salt
    4. Add dry rock
    5. Add 5 lbs live rock ( i am going to get from LFS )
    5. Add power head and heater

Let this sit and check for levels every other day till i get the 0-0-0.

As i understand it - this process is to CURE THE DEAD ROCK and get it ready to be transferred into the DT. The cycle process for the tank is separate and will require RO/DI filtered water.

Comments?

as always - thank you all for the guidance.

Your goal is correct as you need to make sure the "dead dry rock" is cleaned and populated with some good bacteria. I have seen some people just do it in the display tank and seed it with some live rock from local lfs. It's your choice if you do it in a seperate container or not... I would check the levels maybe two to three times a week...you might think about adding a light source so the coralline algae can start to grow too(jmo). Also most people will change that water out a couple if times as well over the curing process have fun and take it slow...it can be a fun time to just wish and plan everything else out....I suggest you get an actual ro/di unit as the filter in your fridge is just a mostly carbon and not a good cleaner for water with coral in it...have fun

Comment

Any updates on your tank?

Comment

your on the right track. Are you doing a bare bottom tank or do you have sand? Also along those same lines, are you cycling sand as well as Dead Rock?

Comment

Working...
        X