Needle nosed gar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle nosed gar

New to this website and recently got into the whole aquarium thing and I love it! Really wanting some needle nosed gar wanting to know where to get them and how to care for them and info is appreciated.

What size tank do you have? A fish like that is a tank buster

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Welcome to the box, btw

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
        Welcome to the box, btw
        Thanks! And it's a 20 gallon I wanted a spotted but those require 50s so I want to stick with a silver Asian needle nose

Comment

Oh okay cool, I thought you meant the spotted gar from the U.S., was just gonna warn you against it lol

Comment

Yeah the most common name used is needle fish

Comment

they are neat fish, but in a 20gal tank, will not work. they are schooling fish, so generally you should keep them in
              a group. they typically get around 12-16 inches in length, so length/width of the tank become very important. otherwise they
              will be constantly turning and develop spinal issues. usually a 55gal tank or larger is needed (48 inch length).

they are light sensitive/nervous in nature and can jump out of the tank when scared or lights turn on suddenly. be sure to keep
              a tight lid on the tank.

you will need some good filtration. they only eat live foods, or frozen foods if accepted, so toxins can build up quickly. weekly
              water changes will also help combat that problem of tocixity build up.

they can also eat many tankmates. fish need to be a lot larger than you would think if you ever wanted to mix other species into the
              tank. they also can/will bite you at times.

here is a good link for more info on water params, temprement, feeding, etc:
              The Needle Nose Gar is a surface dwelling fish that resembles a twig floating in the water! The Needle Nose Gar Xenentodon cancila is a long thin fish that can reach up to about 16 inches (40 cm) in length. It swims close to the surface and looks much like stick, so is sometimes referred […]

Comment

Working...
              X