Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South American Discus Community Photo Update (September 13, 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South American Discus Community Photo Update (September 13, 2014)

Howdy Discus Lovers...

I have been raising Discus for about a year now. Many of you have seen my posts and I had the pleasure of meeting many of you in person at the NADA show in June.

The big change in my tank since last update is I have removed my plants and have switched to artificial plants. Since doing so, I no longer dose water table fertilizer and the entire biome is much healthier... no more major combat with algae. I never let it get the best of me but maintenance is greatly reduced. My Discus are very healthy and still spawn every week. The other is I no long have any dwarf cichlids or Hatchets but I intend to replenish. I do have approximately 100 small shoaling tetras (Cardinals, Rummies, Neons and Glo Lights)... and the display they make with Discus is very impressive.

My next post will be a full lessons learned over the last year... WQ, species compatibility, plants, dosing and equipment.

Here are my updated photos...

“Semper Procinctum”

Very nice discus. Huge and vibrant!

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

I've never had discus. Do you have to worry about crossbreeding with these guys?

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Wow , there some very nice Discus , impressive .
        Tropheus Moorii Golden Kazumba
        Petrochromis Red Mahale

Comment

They spawn every week even hatch but my community environment is not conducive to fry survival. I have 4 Filter intakes and bottom cleaning catfish.
          “Semper Procinctum”

Comment

Your Discus are very nice!
            I am starting to plan a Discus tank.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Cool man. I like the community approach myself. Check out Simply Discus forum. Hardcore Discus hobbyist on there. No substrate daily WCs on there. I've found my balance. Also HAW is local and reasonable by comparison in price. Hans is very impressive but your getting into shipping costs too.
              “Semper Procinctum”

Comment

I do read simply discus. I have been planning this tank for a long time. Now starting to make it come together. I know John. He is one of the best people.
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Nice! Water params, Wc shcedule, feeding schedule?

Comment

Nice tank. Removing plants was a giant step in the right direction.

Comment

Where are you getting your discus? They look great. I'm starting my discus and Angel tank. Only have a few discus. Looking to increase stock. Thanks

Comment

Well I've gotten fish from most places all over Houston but when it comes to Discus I shop at HAW.

I do an 80 gal WC once a week with 60 gal RO and 20 gal tap. I put a cap full of Discus buffer and a cap full of Prime in each 5 gal tap water bucket. pH is 6.8 temp maintained between 85 and 88. Low nitrates at 20 ppm 0 nitrites and ammonia.
                        “Semper Procinctum”

Comment

Beautiful fish. Very robust and healthy.

Mark
                          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Thank
                            “Semper Procinctum”

Comment

HAW is Houston Aquarium Warehouse

Comment

Working...
                              X